The embargo for ORAS review has lifted and reviews are now out in the wild. I’ve rounded up some of them here. Are you excited for ORAS launching this Friday (or next week) and are you curious if they live up to the hype. Spoilers: Nope, they are the worst Pokémon games ever.
- Gamespot – Give these remakes enough time, and you begin to understand why Pokemon’s formula hasn’t changed much over the years. It’s a seemingly simple and cute journey, but with the underlying potential for strategy in combat, and a massive number of adorable Pokemon to catch, you can’t help getting hooked by Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. 8/10
- GoNintendo – Overall, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire is a good improvement over the original Sapphire as well as last year’s X/Y releases. While it may not be the right game for players to jump back into the series or into it for the first time, it’s more enjoyable with a lot of streamlined features while adding new design elements that attempt to engage players in more aspects of the game.
- IGN – As a 3D remake, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby do a fantastic job of reintroducing Hoenn. Little details, like characters turning their heads to look as you pass or flocks of Wingulls flying overhead, make the region really come to life, and small updates and tweaks help make the journey smoother.
- Joystiq – Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire do little to overhaul the major pillars of a series that’s long relied on the same set of classic ideas, but they don’t have to. The core mechanics of Pokemon remain immensely addictive, and Game Freak’s latest coat of polish only enhances an already captivating adventure. 4.5/5
- Nintendo World Report – Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are way better games than last year’s X/Y while also improving on the Game Boy Advance originals. 9/10
- Daely Reviews – With the lack of Mega Flygon, no Mega Milotic and no Battle Frontier, these are literally the worst Pokémon games ever. Ever. 2/10.
There are more reviews on Metacritic, which all seem favourable so go check them out!