You wanted more excitement in Pokémon GO‘s autumn event? Well, Niantic has delivered, but in a somewhat controversial way. Here are the official details:
Remember when we predicted that different Pokémon might be hatching from Eggs soon due to the temperature change? While it’s true that different Pokémon will be hatching from Eggs, we might have been a bit naïve with our initial assessment.
It turns out, Team GO Rocket has been collecting a new type of Egg called Strange Eggs. These Eggs seem to hatch Poison-type Pokémon, Dark-type Pokémon, and Pokémon that acquire one of those types via Evolution. Fortunately, it doesn’t seem that the Pokémon hatching from these Eggs have been harmed in any way, but regardless, Team GO Rocket’s activities are always a little worrisome!
Date + Time
Monday, October 12, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Monday, October 19, 2020, at 10:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7)
- Strange Eggs have appeared in Pokémon GO! According to Spark’s early research, the following Poison-type Pokémon, Dark-type Pokémon, and Pokémon that acquire one of those types via Evolution can hatch from these Eggs: Larvitar, Scraggy, Trubbish, and Vullaby—though there may be even more!
- Defeat a Team GO Rocket Leader to receive a Strange Egg, and walk 12 km to hatch it. You’ll need to have space in your Egg inventory before your battle with Sierra, Cliff, or Arlo in order to receive a Strange Egg. Strange Eggs will continue to be available in Pokémon GO after the event ends.
- Eggs placed in Incubators during the event will require one-quarter the normal walking distance to hatch.
- For the first time since March, new Team GO Rocket Special Research will be available! Join Professor Willow as he and the team leaders investigate Team GO Rocket’s involvement with Strange Eggs, culminating in a battle with Giovanni himself! This is the last Team GO Rocket Special Research in 2020. If you currently have the The Shadowy Threat Grows Special Research from earlier this year, you’ll need to complete it first before you can obtain this new Special Research.
- Poison-type and Dark-type Pokémon will be appearing more often in the wild! Look forward to encountering Spinarak, Houndour, Poochyena, Gulpin, Stunky, Purrloin and more.
- Team GO Rocket will be more active than usual! Keep an eye out for Team GO Rocket taking over more PokéStops and Team GO Rocket balloons appearing more often.
- Take a snapshot for a surprise!
- Team GO Rocket Leader avatar items are now available in the shop. Perhaps you could use these avatar items to infiltrate and investigate Team GO Rocket! GO forth, Trainer!
In addition, we’ve heard reports that Team GO Rocket Grunts now is using the following Shadow Pokémon: Diglett, Shellder, Slowpoke,, Aerodactyl, and Skarmory. Team GO Rocket Leaders also appear to be using Shadow Growlithe, Shadow Drowzee, and Shadow Omanyte—if you’re incredibly lucky, you might be able to rescue a Shiny version of one of these Shadow Pokémon. Finally, defeat Giovanni for a chance to rescue Shadow Mewtwo! This is the first time Shadow Mewtwo is available in Pokémon GO outside of the Rocket Straight to Victory Special Research, which was exclusive to Pokémon GO Fest 2020.
After this event begins on Monday, October 12, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7), you’ll be able to save Shadow Mewtwo and Shadow Pokémon from Giovanni, the Team GO Rocket Leaders, and Grunts when those Team GO Rocket members are piloting Team GO Rocket balloons. However, you won’t be able to encounter the Team GO Rocket Leaders’ new Shadow Pokémon or Shadow Mewtwo from PokéStops until the next day in your local time.
Team GO Rocket never rests, Trainers, and neither can we! It looks like these Strange Eggs are here to stay. Let’s save as many of these Strange Eggs as possible from Team GO Rocket!
More eggs, more fun, right? Well, 12 km eggs require quite a bit of walking. Many areas are facing rising COVID-19 cases and people are being encouraged to stay indoors more again. These eggs will also not drop if a player has the maximum number of eggs, so you’ll need to walk enough just to clear space for them.
Many players are saying this isn’t a fun mechanic and it isn’t a great time to release it. Let us know what you think in the comments or on Discord!