Pokémon GO is taking the global spread of the coronavirus seriously and has postponed the upcoming Abra Community Day. They write:
The following events have been canceled, postponed, or changed.
- Abra Community Day: This event has been postponed.
We will also be making the following changes to Pokémon GO which are effective starting now until further notice.
- A one-time purchase bundle of 30 Incense for 1 PokéCoin. Incense will also last for one hour.
- 1/2 Hatch Distance when Eggs are placed into Incubators during this time period
- PokéStops will now drop Gifts more frequently
- Pokémon habitats will increase and more Pokémon will be appearing in the wild
The continued push to prevent large gatherings across the world hits games such as GO quite hard. Luckily, Niantic are trying to adapt and make the game fun even if you’re not going out as much as usual. Make sure to pick up the 30 Incense bundle.
Genesect will be featured in a new ticketed event that features a larger event window in an effort to keep people safe and healthy.
Genesect, the Paleozoic Pokémon, will be making its Pokémon GO debut in a new Special Research story event—A Drive to Investigate! Remember the mysterious weekend event that was mentioned in the March events announcement? It’ll take place alongside the Special Research story event to aid you in your journey to study the mysterious Genesect. Whether or not you have a ticket, you’ll be able to enjoy this weekend-long Genesect-themed event.
Note: Events may vary in certain areas until further notice. Players can stay tuned to our channels for updates.
A Genesect-themed weekend event
From Friday, March 20, 2020, at 8:00 a.m. to Monday, March 23, 2020, at 10:00 p.m. local time, you can look forward to the following features.
- Normal-, Fire-, Water-, Electric-, and Ice-type Pokémon will be appearing more often in the wild. You might see Pokémon such as Jigglypuff, Magnemite, Marill, Houndour, and Snorunt appearing more frequently in the wild.
- Nincada will be appearing in the wild and hatching from 5 km Eggs. If you’re lucky, you might encounter or hatch a Shiny one!
- Karrablast and Shelmet will be hatching more often from 5 km Eggs.
- One-star to four-star Raid Battles will feature various Bug- or Steel-type Pokémon.
- 2× Catch Stardust
- 2× Hatch Stardust
A Drive to Investigate—a Special Research story event
Professor Willow has found a peculiar trail of damage that appears to have been created by a single Pokémon. The kicker? The damage seems to have been caused by attacks of a wide variety of types! Help him discover which Pokémon is behind them in this brand-new Special Research story event! This event doesn’t have a set location—if you have a ticket, you can take part wherever you can play Pokémon GO.
You can purchase a ticket to gain access to this unique limited-time experience where you’ll complete a variety of tasks to earn an encounter with a Genesect! Genesect will also appear in EX Raids starting in April.
Date + Time
- This Special Research story event will take place on Friday, March 20, 2020, at 8:00 a.m. to Thursday, March 26, 2020, at 10:00 p.m. in your local time zone.
Please note: In attempt to make this Special Research story event available and playable for as many Trainers globally as possible, we have extended this event.
A ticket to this Special Research story event will grant you access to a unique experience! This event comes with the opportunity to access or earn the following.
- A new Special Research line featuring an early-access encounter with a Genesect—this is Genesect’s first appearance in Pokémon GO!
- A Drive to Investigate medal
- Research objectives that lead to encounters with various Bug- and Steel-type Pokémon, including Pinsir, Scizor, Skarmory, Karrablast, and Shelmet, as well as other Pokémon that appear in the story or are related to Genesect
- Research objectives that lead to an encounter with Durant, which is typically available only in the eastern hemisphere
- Exclusive Genesect-themed avatar items, such as a bag and a cap
- 5 Premium Battle Passes, 3 Super Incubators, 3 Charged TMs, 3 Fast TMs, 3 Incense, 3 Star Pieces, 1 Poffin, 15 Rare Candies, and 1 Glacial Lure
- Encounters with Scyther, Skarmory, Nincada, and Shieldon after completing exclusive Field Research tasks
- To receive the A Drive to Investigate Special Research, you must open Pokémon GO during the event from Friday, March 20, 2020, at 8:00 a.m. to Thursday, March 26, 2020, at 10:00 p.m. in your local time zone. After you’ve collected the Special Research, you can complete it at any time.
- The ticket is US$7.99 (or the equivalent in your local currency) and can be purchased in the shop. The ticket cannot be purchased with PokéCoins.
- Tickets can be purchased from when they go live until Thursday, March 26, 2020, at 8:00 p.m. in your local time zone. Stay tuned for when they go live!
- The ticket to this Special Research story event is nonrefundable. (Subject to applicable law and the exceptions set forth in the Terms of Service.)
Considering the encounters and avatar items that are included, it sound like the ticket price is a pretty good value! Best luck to those who embark on the quest for some good IVs! Let us know if you think you’ll be partaking in the early encounter before Genesect hits EX Raids.