Previews for Pokémon Sword & Shield have started to appear online and bring a few new details about the games.
Press have recently gotten a hands-on session with Pokémon Sword & Shield and Played roughly the first hour and a half of the games. Overall the previews seems very positive, with most agreeing Sword & Shield are step towards the future of the Pokémon series.
We’ve embedded a few video previews below for everyone to watch. Please feel free to share any more you read or watch in the comments. Just a few new tidbits of information discovered so far:
- New locations confirmed:
- Slumbering Weald
- Wedgehurst – the starting town
- Motostoke is one of Galar’s major cities
- In the Wild Area Pokémon can glow a faint yellow, indicating they have one or more IVs at max values, or have Egg Moves
- The PC can be freely accessed in the Wild Area
- Watts are a currency used in the Wild Area that can be exchanged for camping gear, items and curry ingredients
- It appears Milo may not be the first Gym Leader in Galar
- Nicknames can be changed and moves deleted in Pokémon Centers
Note: all of this information is based on written/visual previews provided by press. It may turn out to be slightly different upon release.
In addition to video previews, several written previews have also been published. Check out a few below:
- Game Informer – “I love how different Pokémon appear in the tall grass through random encounters than do as creatures that roam in the environment. This not only gives you a sense of a living world, but also the mystique of being surprised when an encounter starts without you having initiated it”
- The Verge – “It may not appease diehard fans, but it’s shaping up to be a bold step forward for the series”
- VG24/7 – “Pokémon Sword and Shield has been having a bit of a rough time of it online. But, listen: I’ve finally played a substantial chunk of it, and it’s brilliant”
- Eurogamer – “The take-away from it all, though is that Pokémon Sword and Shield haven’t really been done justice with the Pokémon Company’s apparent desire to keep much of it a secret”
Stick around for the next day of content in our Path to Sword & Shield countdown!