TeeJay

Shiny Pokemon Stories!

TeeJay    12

So I'm currently soft resetting for a shiny Giratina in Platinum. It's taking a while (obviously) and suddenly I got the idea for this thread, haha. So what are your most amazing shiny pokemon stories? Or if you don't have an amazing story attached to any of them, what's the coolest looking one that you own?

I have a little story I can share. So I hadn't touched Platinum in years. Not sure how many years, but I randomly decided to turn the game on for no particular reason. I was on Victory Road, so I just wandered around for a while and the VERY FREAKIN FIRST encounter I had was a shiny Steelix!

Malco    64

Other than the "meh, random Cacturne" or "meh, random Whimsur from EV training" I've got no good ones. Well it's kinda my fault I'm not looking for them.

And the one time I tried for a shiny, it was to get a Froakie (competitive), I finally hatched one in 4 days of nonstop biking, but it wasn't Protean. He just went to the living dex and I gave up.

And then I remember that when I still knew how to clone, someone somehow decided to give me a shiny Palkia (1 IV so it isn't that awesome) for my Yveltal on GTS. It jump-started my legends collection and allowed me to complete my living dex, along with nabbing some competitive (likely hacked but still fun to have) legends.

Lord Reiji    9

I've been soft resetting for shiny legends in ORAS recently. So far got a Zekrom (took me months to get), Lugia (fairly quick), Latios, Registeel and Regirock (both with 30 minutes one from the other) and currently Regice (which is taking forever and not helping the fact that the shiny one looks almost the same as the regular one).

I don´t have that good luck with shinies.

TeeJay    12

OOOOOOOOH MY GOD YOU GUYS I GOT IT I GOT THE SHINY GIRATINA!! And in an ultra ball no less! I really wanted to save the Master Ball as a last resort because shiny Giratina matches the tra ball perfectly in color! I wasn't sure how many more turns I had until it would start Struggling so I was all set to give up and use the Master Ball and then it got caught!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!

This is the first shiny legendary I got by soft resetting! Oh my gosh.

Nomyt    50

Back in Gold/Silver (yes, the original) I found a shiny lickitung. Then nothing for years. Was training up at victory road in X, and I find another shiny Lickitung. Since then, I've gotten into shiny breeding, and have managed an axew. Currently trying for a charmander, and a shiny lizard would be awesome. Tried many time breeding, and soft reseting in past games, but never had any joy. :(

TeeJay    12
16 hours ago, Malco said:

Nice, congrats on the shiny Giratina.

Thank you! It is my new baby. 

This can't be all the shiny stories! Keep 'em coming!

Then again there aren't that many people so maybe that IS all of them, haha.

Malco    64

That is true, most people are more active on disqus than the forums.

Plus I'm not a shiny hunter... ;)

And I don't have the shiny luck.

Edited by Malco

Nomyt    50

Guess who's just hatched his second shiny pokemon?! He has two thumbs, and is called "Nomyt" Really happy, because I spend about a year breeding eggs back on Fire Red, and I never hatched a shiny charmander. but now I finally have one. Now what do I go for next, Ponyta, Dratini,or Deino....

Malco    64

Wait, Charmander has thumbs!!

Randomly, I remember before somebody traded a shiny no-IV charmander for my battle-ready timid (non-shiny) Charizard.

Nomyt    50

Well, I have a few that have 12 hps, and 6 points in each stats. However, I can't be bothered to go see if that means it has good IV's, and no idea on Natures. I'm just breeded to get that "birth defect" as I call it.

TeeJay    12
19 hours ago, Nomyt said:

Guess who's just hatched his second shiny pokemon?! He has two thumbs, and is called "Nomyt" Really happy, because I spend about a year breeding eggs back on Fire Red, and I never hatched a shiny charmander. but now I finally have one. Now what do I go for next, Ponyta, Dratini,or Deino....

Nice, congratulations!

I hatched a shiny eevee (now a sylveon) and a shiny oshawott the other day with 225 and 75 eggs respectively. Now I'm going for a shiny Adamant Smeargle with the ability Technician. I had to breed an Adamant Technician Smeargle to set it up first but after that I spent my entire day off last night just hatching eggs. Over 340 eggs in and nothing so far...not giving up yet though.

TeeJay    12

I got the shiny Pikachu of my dreams just now! Timid! Male! (So I could name it TeeJay) perfect IVs in Special Attack and Special Defense!

This is amazing.

TeeJay    12
17 hours ago, Lord Reiji said:

I got a shiny Manectric yesterday while roaming in the safari zone in X. Still looking for that Regice though.

Oh my gosh that's crazy. I just got a shiny Manectric 15 minutes into searching for it in Omega Ruby. 

And that was right after finally getting a shiny Zorua after about 450+ encounters!

StarStorm    41

I don't think I really have any good stories. I found a shiny Yanma in a horde while completing the Pokedex and that was exciting. I also have a 6IV shiny Suicune that I'm pretty sure is hacked.

oh wait, here is a good story. So months before ORAS came out, I wanted to start the game with a shiny treeko. So I started breeding.... And breeding... And breeding. I actually hunted for 2 months. No shiny. At the same time, I just beat Red in Soul Silver. So I had an idea. I took my brother's Heart Gold for some reason, used an all shiny cheat and a cheat to encounter Treeko and cought a shiny treeko pretending I got one from Steven. Then I felt guilty and released it then played Alpha Sapphire with a regular Treeko .-.

Malco    64

That's a nice shiny story.

This is something some players don't realize about shinies. They think it's just an alternate color, they think it's just something people hack in to show off, they think you can trade a shiny hunter a shiny and they'd be happy. Nay, while I don't shiny hunt myself, I realize that there's something special about the shiny a player soft-reset/bred/caught themselves. It's more than a trophy. There's clearly some sentimental value and sense of achievement in getting one the legit way yourself.

• Like 1

Nomyt    50

Yeah, while on FB recently I commented about how if anyone touched my X game, I wouldn't be held responsible for my actions. As it has my breed shinies, and wild caught shiny lickitung. Then another used was like, wow just those shinies, I have all legendaries as shinies. I was like "Yeah, yeah. You can keep those dirty hacked things, my ones are legit. They're more important than any shiny hacked legendary."
I'll be the first to admit, back in gold, and silver. I had a few shinies, that I gamesharked in. However, I didn't feel any special connection to them, so I reset my games. However, my current shinies are my babies.

TeeJay    12

Back when I was just getting into Pokemon with Platinum I thought I was hot stuff for hacking in shiny pokemon, lol.

I've come to appreciate getting shinies legit now though. I agree when you put in the time to get a shiny they become your baby.

• Like 1

Nomyt    50

I know sort of what you mean. When I sharked them I thought "awesome, I'm a super l33t haxxer." although, all I did was enter a code from websites, and magazines. Then like I said, after getting all legendaries shiny, it was like "I feel so dirty, and there's no reason for me to play the game like this if I don't actually put the effort into it."

Anyway, on the Noibat breeding hunt. Two full boxes, with no luck. Just filling up another two more boxes of eggs to hatch. Then I'll go and hatch them. :) Still gotta go collect my mew (European player here)

Nomyt    50

Well, flip. I fill up my boxes with eggs, go to start hatching them. And the second egg that hatches, is shiny. What are the chances!

TeeJay    12

Wow that's incredibly lucky.

Personally I hatch my eggs in batches of 5 then stick the hatched pokemon in the box. Saves potentially wasted time

Nomyt    50

Yeah, basically I breed a load, and then go over to Prism Tower and just press left and hatch 5 at a time. Although, I'm thinking of getting a pokemon with pick up on the team. Breeding is getting a little expensive.