Sign in to follow this  
pokejungle

Nintendo NX

pokejungle    25

Miracle console or Wii U-style flop?

Really hoping the former honestly. The leaks have made it sound not only interesting, but also actually powerful. Would be nice to see a Nintendo console that can compete with the big boys and not rely on gimmicks.

gamer2000    6

I think Kimishima is a pretty smart guy and is going to take Nintendo in direction of making Nintendo-like profits again. But I've been seeing some stuff on forums that Nintendo employees treat NX as Iwata's last project and that bit scares me. The guy was a brilliant programmer and he had a lot of luck with DS, Wii and even the 3DS but I think his vision for consoles was all wrong. The thing is Nintendo had become obsessed with "innovation" that they'll never listen to what gamers and devs want. A console that is powerful with a regular controller. 

Flyffel    7

Kinda hoping for it to be a home console / handheld hybrid thing so that I can get it. The 3DS is getting quite old and I'm starting to crave a new handheld but I wouldn't buy a home console. On the other hand it would mean less games made so that would be sad (like only one Mario Kart instead of DS/Wii, 3DS/WiiU, ...). On the other hand I would't have to miss out. Now I'm getting conflicted. xD

Either way I hope the follower of the 3DS is coming soonish. I'm okay with 2017 for that though.

gamer2000    6
6 hours ago, Flyffel said:

Kinda hoping for it to be a home console / handheld hybrid thing so that I can get it. The 3DS is getting quite old and I'm starting to crave a new handheld but I wouldn't buy a home console. On the other hand it would mean less games made so that would be sad (like only one Mario Kart instead of DS/Wii, 3DS/WiiU, ...). On the other hand I would't have to miss out. Now I'm getting conflicted. xD

Either way I hope the follower of the 3DS is coming soonish. I'm okay with 2017 for that though.

I really don't think it is going to be a portable. The 3DS is what is making them the most profit at the moment and the Wii U is only 4 years old. I think they should ride it out with the Wii U until Q4 2017 because they are still making a profit from the thing.

Smitje    64
6 hours ago, Flyffel said:

I haven't had an console since Mario World(?) so I don't really follow that world. But I do hope Nintendo comes with something that really sets itself apart. 

I think the 3DS is something that will stay for a while, didn't they just bring out the New3DS? With coverplates and such? To me that says it is really ment to be used for years. 

gamer2000    6
45 minutes ago, Smitje said:

I haven't had an console since Mario World(?) so I don't really follow that world. But I do hope Nintendo comes with something that really sets itself apart. 

I think the 3DS is something that will stay for a while, didn't they just bring out the New3DS? With coverplates and such? To me that says it is really ment to be used for years. 

Yeah I want something a bit different but different from Nintendo has usually meant an underpowered(compared with competitors) system and some sort of gimmick. 

[UPD] - This is a fresh rumor and should be taken with a gigantic amount of salt as we are around April 1 territory: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=215286

Edited by gamer2000
Added latest NX rumor.

Poekoko    88

Looks like I should sell my Wii U before it's obsolete... ugh I just got it a little less than 2 years ago and I want to still play some games i haven't got like Xenoblade and such

gamer2000    6
On 4/7/2016 at 10:03 PM, Poekoko said:

Looks like I should sell my Wii U before it's obsolete... ugh I just got it a little less than 2 years ago and I want to still play some games i haven't got like Xenoblade and such

Don't sell your Wii U just yet. The things about the NX are all RUMORS. Besides Nintendo has a habit of revealing a console one year and releasing it the other. They've been making a small profit on the Wii U so I think it is going to last its full five years on the market.

Poekoko    88
14 hours ago, gamer2000 said:

Don't sell your Wii U just yet. The things about the NX are all RUMORS. Besides Nintendo has a habit of revealing a console one year and releasing it the other. They've been making a small profit on the Wii U so I think it is going to last its full five years on the market.

Yea, still haven't played all of the gems on the console yet either

I hate how journalist keep saying the console is coming in 2016. It's not. Nintendo has never revealed a home console and released it the same year. E3 is in 2 months, and the latest they will release it is in mid November to they can take advantage of the entire holiday season. Releasing it in December would be a huge mistake. So that is about five months to market the console. . .it just doesn't feel like enough time. I think it is coming Holiday 2017, and i am confident Nintendo will continue to support the Wii U for a few more years.

The Wii U is one of the best home consoles I have own, and it's a little painful for me to see all the hate it gets. Now, in 2016, people still act like the console has no games when in fact the library is fantastic! Eh, people are always going to hate I guess.

gamer2000    6
18 hours ago, AwesomeHashbrown said:

I think it is coming Holiday 2017, and i am confident Nintendo will continue to support the Wii U for a few more years.

I strongly agree that it is coming in NX but trust when I say this, Nintendo won't support the Wii U past mid-2018. They always say they will support their previous console when they release the new one and they never do. GBA was scrapped in like 3 years.

WHaa?  The Wii was in production until early 2014, almost two years after the Wii U came out. Popular Wii games like Animal Crossing: City Folk, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Mario Allstars, and Mario Kart Wii still receive prints to this day and can be found at most retailers. 

The Gameboy advance had a ton of games come out after the Nintendo DS released (Pokemon Emerald being one of them). And two new versions of the console came out after the Nintendo DS released, which were the Gameboy Micro, and the second version of the Advance SP.

Nintendo wasn't sure that the Nintendo DS was going to succeed, so they didn't associate it with the Gameboy line in case sales were bad. Both consoles ran along side each other for awhile until the Gameboy Advance phased out in the late 2000s.

I'm not knocking you - just trying to explain the extent that they support past consoles.

I hope the Nintendo NX (or whatever they call it) is successful. It seems to be popular online to hate on Nintendo. The Wii U is a great console. . .and totally worth the money. . .it was just never able to shake off the bad press it started with. The marketing was bad, in the west the console went like 8 months without a new 1st party game after launch, and many other issues. 

I own just about every 1st party title on the Wii U, so I hope to enjoy the console for a long time to come. : )

Edited by AwesomeHashbrown

Poekoko    88
4 hours ago, gamer2000 said:

I strongly agree that it is coming in NX but trust when I say this, Nintendo won't support the Wii U past mid-2018. They always say they will support their previous console when they release the new one and they never do. GBA was scrapped in like 3 years.

GBA (Including SP) lasted 6 years 2001-2007