Smitje

Pokémon Red, Green, Blue and Yellow Discussion

Smitje    64

Hi, 

I've been playing Pokémon Yellow the last couple of weeks and I'm taking my time. I was around eight when I first got Pokémon Blue and not knowing a word of English I forced my way to the end. Now I'm talking to everyone and everything. To really get the story this time. I'm only at the fourth GYM but I got caught up in the Game Corner, trying to get a Porygon.. Just 5000 more coins to go!

My current team; 

- Pikachu

- Primeape

- Fearow

- Nidoqueen

I was surprised how tougher these games are than the new ones. I haven't run from any Pokémon and battled every trainer I could find still my Pokémon are barely on the same level as the trainers. I only have four Pokémon at the moment how will this go when I add Porygon? (I will, I will get one.) 

Anyway discuss below. :)

Wes    115

I actually just beat the Elite 4 in Yellow before I logged on. :P

I never played the older games; I jumped straight into the series with Leafgreen, so I found it really neat to experience for myself the beginnings of Pokemon. 

My current team is Clefable (58), Fearow (48), Kadabra (48), Nidoking (47),  Charmeleon (27), and Lapras (23). Not the best team, but hey, it worked. 

Smitje    64
1 hour ago, Wes said:

I actually just beat the Elite 4 in Yellow before I logged on. :P

I never played the older games; I jumped straight into the series with Leafgreen, so I found it really neat to experience for myself the beginnings of Pokemon. 

My current team is Clefable (58), Fearow (48), Kadabra (48), Nidoking (47),  Charmeleon (27), and Lapras (23). Not the best team, but hey, it worked. 

What have you done to Pikachu?! D: 

You beat the Elite Four with that? My Pokémon are around Lv 30 and I still think they should be higher.

Wes    115
13 minutes ago, Smitje said:

What have you done to Pikachu?! D: 

You beat the Elite Four with that? My Pokémon are around Lv 30 and I still think they should be higher.

I felt bad about doing it, but I had to store Pikachu because that small lag when you try to switch spots with it in the overworld annoyed me. 

And yeah, the E4 was tough, but I spammed revives and narrowly got through. (I really only used Charmeleon and Lapras to stall while I revived the others)

Edited by Wes

Smitje    64
1 hour ago, Wes said:

I felt bad about doing it, but I had to store Pikachu because that small lag when you try to switch spots with it in the overworld annoyed me. 

And yeah, the E4 was tough, but I spammed revives and narrowly got through. (I really only used Charmeleon and Lapras to stall while I revived the others)

I can imagine.

I need to get a move on all I heard that Lavender town has quite an interesting story to it. And I want to really explore that.

Also I didn't know you got two Snorlax (or Snorlaxes?) 

Nomyt    50

Played Blue back when I was 16. (Not long before G/S was released. Remember seeing new gen, but with no English names.) Anyway, I've found this too, I swear I had all my pokemon about the same levels as the gym leaders. Now I'm struggling to be the same levels, on these new games. (Although, sand attack, leech seed, and poison powder. Is what I took down Misty with.) Haven't even got my Gyarados. Which I usually level up and get before going through Mt Moon! Now at Diglett Cave, may get one for Surge.

Ivysaur Lv20
Pidgeotto Lv19
Butterfree Lv19
Meowth Lv15
Magikarp Lv18
Rattata.Lv19

Boxed
Nidorina Lv17 (Boxed for Meowth at Vermilion, although may switch back and box Magikarp.)
Nidoran (Male) Lv13 (boxed before Mt Moon for Magikarp)

Smitje    64
30 minutes ago, Nomyt said:

Played Blue back when I was 16. (Not long before G/S was released. Remember seeing new gen, but with no English names.) Anyway, I've found this too, I swear I had all my pokemon about the same levels as the gym leaders. Now I'm struggling to be the same levels, on these new games. (Although, sand attack, leech seed, and poison powder. Is what I took down Misty with.) Haven't even got my Gyarados. Which I usually level up and get before going through Mt Moon! Now at Diglett Cave, may get one for Surge.

Ivysaur Lv20
Pidgeotto Lv19
Butterfree Lv19
Meowth Lv15
Magikarp Lv18
Rattata.Lv19

Boxed
Nidorina Lv17 (Boxed for Meowth at Vermilion, although may switch back and box Magikarp.)
Nidoran (Male) Lv13 (boxed before Mt Moon for Magikarp)

Why are you getting a Gyarados for Surge? But to be honest I am having more fun with these trainers than I have with Generation VI trainers. 

I have boxed the three starters you can get. but mostly I've boxed items. Because apparently nothing fits in my bag. 

"Oh you want to receive HM01? Well to bad you don't have room.."

pokejungle    25

I'm enjoying the game immensely. Haven't ever played through one of the originals in its entirety and it feels historic doing it in Japanese. Plus the sprites are awesome haha.

Have had very little time to enjoy however, so I'm currently grinding in order to beat Brock. Sadface.

Nomyt    50
9 hours ago, Smitje said:

Why are you getting a Gyarados for Surge?

Switching him for Diglett. And then boxing Pidge, and Butters for the Nidos.

• Like 1

Smitje    64
54 minutes ago, Nomyt said:

Switching him for Diglett. And then boxing Pidge, and Butters for the Nidos.

Oh that makes a lot more sense. All he only has Raichu so that diglet with kick his ass. 

Nomyt    50

I think the first time I played it, I had sandshrew and the dig tm, pretty much wrecked them all in one go. :D

Smitje    64
2 hours ago, Nomyt said:

I think the first time I played it, I had sandshrew and the dig tm, pretty much wrecked them all in one go. :D

Have you had difficulty with the other GYM's? I'm playing Yellow, for Brock I had a mankey, three hit he was down. For Misty I had Pikachu and for Surge I think I had Nidoqueen. 

Nomyt    50

Not really. I just remember being higher levels in the original blue. Which I seem to be no where near this time around. I swap stuff around to make sure I have type advantage usually. Train them a little to get the new pokemon to the teams level, but that's it really.

Brock I had Pidgey use sand attack twice, Bulba leech seed (ironically learnt Vine whip after the battle).
Misty, was same method, but added Poison Powder, and Vine whip.

Haven't had chance to charge and play today.

Smitje    64
20 hours ago, Nomyt said:

Not really. I just remember being higher levels in the original blue. Which I seem to be no where near this time around. I swap stuff around to make sure I have type advantage usually. Train them a little to get the new pokemon to the teams level, but that's it really.

Brock I had Pidgey use sand attack twice, Bulba leech seed (ironically learnt Vine whip after the battle).
Misty, was same method, but added Poison Powder, and Vine whip.

Haven't had chance to charge and play today.

I wasn't that strategic :) Still hoping I can get a Porygon, but my better judgement says I could better continue the story. 

I also haven't had the time to play Yellow for the last couple of days. Have been playing X, breeding Pokémon instead. I am curious how the transfur from RBY to S&M will go. We don't know their sex or ability. Maybe they all will get their hidden ability to make it worth it?

Wes    115
4 hours ago, Smitje said:

I wasn't that strategic :) Still hoping I can get a Porygon, but my better judgement says I could better continue the story. 

I also haven't had the time to play Yellow for the last couple of days. Have been playing X, breeding Pokémon instead. I am curious how the transfur from RBY to S&M will go. We don't know their sex or ability. Maybe they all will get their hidden ability to make it worth it?

I saw a post somewhere that pointed out that from Gen 1 to Gen 7 there will be lots of things assigned to the Pokemon such as gender, ability, EV or IV (I forget which), and even shiny value, among others. So there's a chance-albeit very slim-that your hard earned Gen 1 Pokemon may suddenly become shiny when transferred. 

Malco    64
On 3/19/2016 at 4:51 AM, Wes said:

You can more quickly switch places with Pikachu in Yellow, by holding B while moving towards him. Probably still a bother, though.

Smitje    64
53 minutes ago, Malco said:

You can more quickly switch places with Pikachu in Yellow, by holding B while moving towards him. Probably still a bother, though.

I didn't know that. That will come in handy :)

I have Japanese "Pocket Monsters Green Version"

I have only beaten Brock so far and will soon beat Misty though I chose Charmander and now have a Charmeleon.

My team:

-Charmeleon (level 24)

-Ratatta (level 12)

-Spearow (level 10)

-Spearow (level 8)

Edited by EmpoleonRulesDP

CJMoff    0

I've defeated the Pokemon League in Yellow in the last week or so. Still only have about 37 Pokemon (pathetic, I know), but my team is pretty strong:

- Mewtwo (Lv. 70)

- Charizard (Lv. 44)

- Pikachu (Lv. 30)

- Moltres (Lv. 53)

- Zapdos (Lv. 52)

- Articuno (Lv. 60)

Does anyone have any advice on catching more Pokemon?

Edited by CJMoff
Added a question