Accalia_Luperca

Which Starter Pokemon Type Do You Prefer?

Starter Pokemon Poll  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which starter type do you think is the best?

• Grass
    • Fire
    • Water

So I had this discussion with some friends and thought I would ask it here. Sorry if there is already a topic about this. So I know some Pokemon fans when picking a starter Pokemon will always pick the same type like they always pick the fire type. I'm not one of those people though. For example, if I play a game set in Kanto I typically pick Squirtle or if it's set in Hoenn I'll pick Treecko. However, let's say we were forced to only pick one type for all starters for all of our Pokemon games and we had to choose to use only grass, fire, or water starters. For simplicity we're ignoring games like Pokemon Yellow that don't give you the usual option of the three. Additionally you are not allowed to ever use the other starters even if you find them in the wild or trade for them and you must use your starter in your playthrough. So out of curiousity which starter type would you choose and why?

In case you need a refresher of your three choices:

Grass Starters

Bulbasaur, Chikorita, Treecko, Turtwig, Snivy, Chespin, Rowlet
Fire Starters

Charmander, Cyndaquil, Torchic, Chimchar, Tepig, Fennekin, Litten 
Water Starters

Squirtle, Totodile, Mudkip, Piplup, Oshawott, Froakie, Popplio

I'm personally torn between choosing the grass starters and the fire starters but I would probably have to go with the grass starters because I like Treecko too much.

• Like 1

Nomyt    50

I usually switch between Grass and Fire Types.

Grass, Fire, Fire, Grass, Grass, Fire, Grass

Weirdly, my least favourite starter from each gen will be the opposite one. So yeah...

Wes    115

In generational order... Charmander, Totodile, Mudkip, Piplup, Oshawott, Fennekin, Popplio/Litten. 

So... I always choose Fire or Water, with the majority going to Water. I never say, "I'm going to pick the (x) type this time!" because I judge them by overall aesthetic appeal. Apparently I'm just not too fond of Grass starters. 

Green    90

I've done Charmander, Chikorita, Mudkip, Turtwig, Tepig/Snivy , Fennekin and Rowlet so I cant pick.

22 hours ago, Wes said:

In generational order... Charmander, Totodile, Mudkip, Piplup, Oshawott, Fennekin, Popplio/Litten. 

So... I always choose Fire or Water, with the majority going to Water. I never say, "I'm going to pick the (x) type this time!" because I judge them by overall aesthetic appeal. Apparently I'm just not too fond of Grass starters. 

Yeah I'm kind of the same way with starters but if you had to stick with only one type it sounds like it would be water types.

For example I go Squirtle, Cyndaquil, Treecko, Piplup/Chimchar/Turtwig (I keep changing my mind), Snivy, Fennekin, Rowlet. So I tend to lean more towards grass types but I will say when I don't pick the grass starter they're usually my least favorite of the three

On 2/1/2017 at 3:04 AM, Nomyt said:

I usually switch between Grass and Fire Types.

Grass, Fire, Fire, Grass, Grass, Fire, Grass

Weirdly, my least favourite starter from each gen will be the opposite one. So yeah...

.So looks like you're stuck between choosing fire and grass like I was. I guess you may have to flip a coin if you were forced to only stick with one type for starters unless you like certain starters more than others.

Nomyt    50
22 hours ago, Accalia_Luperca said:

.So looks like you're stuck between choosing fire and grass like I was. I guess you may have to flip a coin if you were forced to only stick with one type for starters unless you like certain starters more than others.

I think if I were forced I'd have to go with my first ever starter.

In generational order: Charmander/Bulbasaur/Squirtle (did playthroughs with all 3), Totodile/Cyndaquil, Treecko/Mudkip/Torchic, Turtwig, Snivy, Fnnekin/Froakie, Litten.

9 hours ago, PokemonKing16 said:

In generational order: Charmander/Bulbasaur/Squirtle (did playthroughs with all 3), Totodile/Cyndaquil, Treecko/Mudkip/Torchic, Turtwig, Snivy, Fnnekin/Froakie, Litten.

Yeah but say you were forced to only ever use one type of starter from now on would you pick fire, water, or grass? For example since you seem to lean slightly more to fire types if I counted right then if you picked fire you would be stucking using Charmander in Kanto, Cyndaquil in Johto, Torchic in Hoenn, Chimchar in Sinnoh, Tepig in Unova, Fennekin in Kalos, Litten in Alola, and then whatever other fire starters are to come in future regions.

It's really hard to decide when you aren't the type of person who normally goes by type or at least it was for me.

On 2/3/2017 at 4:43 PM, Green said:

I've done Charmander, Chikorita, Mudkip, Turtwig, Tepig/Snivy , Fennekin and Rowlet so I cant pick.

Yeah it's a hard and a somewhat evil would you rather question my friend came up with.

8 hours ago, Accalia_Luperca said:

Yeah but say you were forced to only ever use one type of starter from now on would you pick fire, water, or grass? For example since you seem to lean slightly more to fire types if I counted right then if you picked fire you would be stucking using Charmander in Kanto, Cyndaquil in Johto, Torchic in Hoenn, Chimchar in Sinnoh, Tepig in Unova, Fennekin in Kalos, Litten in Alola, and then whatever other fire starters are to come in future regions.

It's really hard to decide when you aren't the type of person who normally goes by type or at least it was for me.

I usually choose my starters based on a few different things: Design, Usefulness in the long run, Difficulty, BST, and Movepool Diversity. Why I pick based on design is self explanatory, Usefulness ITLR means I choose based on which starter has more advantages against gym leaders/trial captains, I choose based on Difficulty because again, which starter has the most advantages or disadvantages so I can make the game easier or harder on a playthrough, BST is self explanatory as is movepool diversity.

Nomyt    50
9 hours ago, Accalia_Luperca said:

So you would go with the grass type starters then?

Yeah, Bulbasaur. First game was Blue.

Aurora Fae    24

Im usually a water/grass guy, except sinnoh I choose fire because I dislike the others too much, and johto because I love all three, but consistently its mostly water.

Well, my favorites of each gen is, Squirtle>Cyndaquil>Torchic(Treecko was my first)>Piplup(chimchar was my first)>Oshawott>Chespin>Rowlett. So, I'm pretty split amongst all the generations. However, I strongly dislike Emboar, and I really don't like Infernape, so those unfortunately push fire types back. Personally, Meganium may be cute, but its just so useless, and I really don't care for turtwig line. So my choice is definitely water. I have a problem with very few water type starters. Grass is a close second though. 

• Like 1

Well, my starters that I picked were: Charmander, Todotile, Treecko, Piplup, Snivy, Froakie and Rowlet. So my preferences are grass and water, especially grass (I love green).

So I voted green and I surprised it got more votes than fire :|

• Like 1

On 2/14/2017 at 7:48 AM, The weiß Kuppo said:

Well, my starters that I picked were: Charmander, Todotile, Treecko, Piplup, Snivy, Froakie and Rowlet. So my preferences are grass and water, especially grass (I love green).

So I voted green and I surprised it got more votes than fire :|

Yeah I'm surprised by that too.

Josh Omega    30

well going by my preference of the starters from each gen its. bulbasaur, totodile, treecko,  turtwig, snivy, froakie and litten so thats.

grass- 4

water- 2

fire- 1 

so all in all I lean more towards the grass starters. if I had to choose 1 from each type it would be Treecko( my favorite pokemon) froakie and litten 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2017 at 2:11 AM, Accalia_Luperca said:

So I had this discussion with some friends and thought I would ask it here. Sorry if there is already a topic about this. So I know some Pokemon fans when picking a starter Pokemon will always pick the same type like they always pick the fire type. I'm not one of those people though. For example, if I play a game set in Kanto I typically pick Squirtle or if it's set in Hoenn I'll pick Treecko. However, let's say we were forced to only pick one type for all starters for all of our Pokemon games and we had to choose to use only grass, fire, or water starters. For simplicity we're ignoring games like Pokemon Yellow that don't give you the usual option of the three. Additionally you are not allowed to ever use the other starters even if you find them in the wild or trade for them and you must use your starter in your playthrough. So out of curiousity which starter type would you choose and why?

In case you need a refresher of your three choices:

Grass Starters

Bulbasaur, Chikorita, Treecko, Turtwig, Snivy, Chespin, Rowlet
Fire Starters

Charmander, Cyndaquil, Torchic, Chimchar, Tepig, Fennekin, Litten 
Water Starters

Squirtle, Totodile, Mudkip, Piplup, Oshawott, Froakie, Popplio

I'm personally torn between choosing the grass starters and the fire starters but I would probably have to go with the grass starters because I like Treecko too much.

I love Water what can I say 😁

• Like 1