PokemonKing16

First memory about Pokemon

Wes    115

My first memory comes before I even knew what Pokemon was. When I was in first grade a friend of mine gave me this weird thing (I still don't know what it was to this day). It was about the size of a typical Pokemon card, but made of plastic and several millimeters thicker. It also had a plastic Lapras sticking out of the middle, much like a tiny figurine. Back then, I didn't know what a Lapras was. I was obsessed with mythical monsters like yetis and dragons, so I just assumed it was the loch ness monster.

It wasn't until a year later that I actually got into the series by collecting the cards, and I didn't play Leafgreen, my first Pokemon game, until a year after that. 

Smitje    64

My first memory was keeping resetting Pokémon Blue because I didn't know you could save? I was looking for save-points.. Luckily an older boy showed me how to save and play the game a little bit, he also helped me lots with Mt.Moon.

Aonixia    15

My first memory was seeing a few of the kids in my second grade class playing the trading card game. At that point I only had a faint idea as to what Pokemon was from seeing the occasional episode of the anime on tv and from others talking about it, so I had no idea what the creatures were on the cards were nor how to even play it. Seeing them play the game and seeing the pokemon on those cards is what compelled me to get into pokemon in the first place and for me to get my first game, Pokemon Diamond, about a year later. 

You know I'm honestly not sure what my first memory of Pokemon is. I can remember all the way back to when it first hit the state's and Pokemon Fever swept the nation but I'm honestly not sure what my first encounter was. I can remember my mom getting me a Zubat plush from KFC and being super excited about it. I still have that thing too. I can remember asking for cards too and being told we couldn't afford for me to collect something like that. I was bummed since everyone at school had them but I didn't have the games either for the same reason so I was kind of expecting that response. I'm willing to bet my first encounter with Pokemon was on tv. We didn't have cable but thankfully our rabbit ears let me watch Kids WB. I think the first episode I saw wasn't the first one but the second one where Team Rocket first shows up.

• Like 1

Nomyt    50

Last year of school (British School system is weird, so I'll just leave it at that.) I got given three of the playing cards from friends, (ponyta, machop, and machoke), collected cards for a bit, borrowed Blue of a friend and his Gameboy adapter for the SuperNintendo (bare in mind this was 1999, and I still only had the snes, not even a Gameboy). Borrowed it over the weekend.

My friend was in the power plant, and had Vaporeon as a surfer. Wasn't sure where I was suppose to be going, but liked the battle system. Eventually, brought a used copy of Blue, and learnt how to reset the game, and start a fresh. Stopped collecting cards, as super expensive.

Later that year, I got yellow and a colour Gameboy for Christmas. And then followed the lead up to Gold/Silver (remember seeing the full list of new pokemon before they had names translated!), and got Silver on release day! (Didn't get Gold until much later in the year.) And then after that, I caught literally the tail end of 3rd gen announcements, and got the games a month or so later. (Brought Sapphire and the GBA at lunch time, and then went back to the store 2 hours later, and brought Ruby (I was working full time, so plenty of money.)

Ever since then, I have always been there at the announcement of a new gen, and always buy both games at the same time.

Mattty    0

Mine's not too pleasant.. I remember playing Pokemon red on my Gameboy on an hour bus journey and it made me very very travel sick in front of all my friends :$

__argyle    0

I just joined to share mine! I was about 9 years old on the school bus, and one of the kids on my bus showed me a Sandshrew figurine. He kept telling me its name but I thought it was a "Sisandrew". A few months later my best friend got Red and I was hooked. Christmas came and so did Blue, and I've been playing ever since (currently 27 years old).

Ithsme    120

I'll try to keep this as brief as possible.

I played diamond.

-----------------------

Seriously though, here's the real story: when I was 7, I got a DS Lite for christmas, and so did my best friend. He got pokemon diamond along with it though, and we were absolutely fascinated by it. I would watch him play for hours on end, trying to save up enough change to buy a copy myself. Fast forward a half of a year, and I ended up getting it for my birthday. One of the best days of my life I'd say.

Side story: I got lost in wayward cave on my first playthrough, and ended up restarting. xD

I had a lv. 46 torterra as well, I never used any pokemon other than my starter.

I remember we went to the Mall of America and got Pokémon Red. I think my parents got it for me, but then I couldn't figure out how to get out of Pallet Town so I asked one of my older sisters for help. I didn't get to play the game for another two weeks because she completely took over :P From there, I got really into the cards and anime, and the rest is history! I think I was only 4 years old.

Malco    64

I started late with a GBA SP and Sapphire. I also had a bootleg Emerald too, which was obviously a fake since it didn't come with a wireless adapter and the battery was always "dry" so I couldn't plant berries. I just preferred the Sapphire since the clock worked and I was afraid of losing saves.

I picked Mudkip and finished the game once. Since I had no one to trade with I did replay it a couple of times, and the last time I stopped restarting, I finally evolved a Milotic and it became the star of the contests.

After I lost the GBA SP to some freak accident, I gave up on Pokemon until the DS and Pokemon Pearl, where knowing it was a sequel, I was wondering why I couldn't just choose Mudkip as starter again? And of course, I eventually recaptured the Milotic contest glory.

My first memory of Pokémon was from watching the anime. I thought it was the coolest thing that it was possible to capture monsters and befriend them/use them for battles. The first time I played was when I got a Game Boy Color and Pokémon Gold some time afterwards. Still one of my favorite games, especially because of the postgame.  

Lord Reiji    9

My first memory of pokemon ever was in a videogame club (I didn't have any consoles so I had to go to a club and rent one hour to play games) and in one of the shelves was this little plastic orb with some kind of monster inside. The monster itself didn't look near as cool as the artwork behind it... It was a big turtle with two cannons on its back! So menacing!

That was the first time I ever read "Pokemon". After that I got myself a copy of a magazine, it was a special edition of the magazine specially for pokemon, back in 1999. After reading about pokemon and the games, and the anime, all I ever wanted was to play the pokemon games.

So I worked my butt off selling bags of water and washing cars so I could purchase a gameboy pocket and a pokemon blue cartridge, which I did and was the most happy kid in all my island. I played it everywhere, I easily poured 500 hours into that thing... 

Wish I still had that cartridge, but back in that day all I could afford was to finish a game and then trade it for another one, so I only had one game at a time.