Ithsme

Rate the gens from favorite to least favorite!

Ithsme    120

I'm curious to see they general thoughts on how each one stacks up.

For me:

6. Gen 6 - it had the fewest new pokemon, it had very little post game, music wasn't memorable to me, and THE GAMES WERE TOO EASY. However, I really liked the few new pokemon we did get, and I think some spots in the game were beautiful.

5. Gen 1 - don't hate me, but the games are broken. I'm not talking about the remakes, but the original games. Also they weren't my first games so the nostalgia doesn't factor for me here.

4. Gen 3 - here is where it gets tough, I genuinely love all of the remaining generations, but literally the only reason it is so low is because the other ones are better IMO.

3. Gen 2 - I never have played a gen 2 game, but HGSS are currently my favorite games of all time, so I owe most of the features to gen 2.

2. Gen 5 - great music, mostly great new pokemon (except for a few questionable designs, and no, I don't mean trubbish. I literally fell in love with trubbish when I first layed eyes on him) the games were filled with content (at least BW2) and they had a fine level of difficulty. On top of that, if you didn't like the level of difficulty it was possible to change it.

1. Gen 4 - nostalgia plays a big part here, but I love the music, the new pokemon, the games were loaded with content, and the best of all, I actually had and still do have a tough time playing these games. Plus I'm creditting the new features of HGSS to this gen.

Mellomori    21

6. Gen 3 - Honestly I just hate almost every design choice made with this game.  I've never been a fan of tropical areas as it usually means no snow area(my personal favorite areas in RPGs), I hate the over abundance of water pokemon, both of the evil teams are incredibly stupid when you actually think about their motives, contest battles were kind of lackluster, the addition of abilities really made it clear that the game needed the physical/special split we would get a generation later, and of course it had too much water.

5. Gen 5 - For me this has less design problems then gen 3, but it still has a lot of glaring issues.  By making sprites that moved; their quality was greatly reduced for the animation, resulting in some horrific looking pokemon in the game.  The addition of having a 150 new pokemon is nice, but it was a bit of a mixed bag.  Having a direct squeal instead of a remake was interesting, though personally I felt it backfired a bit as B/W had a tight story that ended on a good note and B/W 2 felt very unnecessary, adding in almost nothing to the story, giving us a boring rival, a painfully generic team, and a guy who screamed that he was part of the evil team from the get go.  And I'm really not trying to pick on black and white 2, but the fact that it is the worst selling main series game is rather telling.  As well Team Plasma really kind of fall flat if you read that one book in Sinnoh that outright states why pokemon join humans, basically saying that they do it by choice and really trainers can't force pokemon to battle.  Combine all of this with the fact that it breaks the great RPG sin of making a super linear map(ie B/W is literally a straight line through the entire main story), and even its fun postgame can't save it for me.  

4. Gen 2 - Alright I imagine that this'll give me a little gate, but I've got to be honest here.  Gen two is tight.  It improved on many of the features of Gen 1, added in breeding, and really felt like the game that they wanted to create from the beginning.  My problem with it is that it feels like a carbon copy of gen 1 with Kanto.  Nothing about Jhoto really stands out as unique, and its not made better by having you return to Kanto, something that on one hand was impressive, but on the other sends a message that they didn't have enough faith in Jhoto.  Really that's it.  I don't rate gen 2 high because Jhoto sucks as a region.  Otherwise its fine.

3. Gen 1 - Ignoring all of its bugs and glitches, the region was well designed and diverse for the gameboy, taking you from massive cities, to the rural countryside, to caves, to the open ocean.  The gym's were well constructed with very memorable gym leaders and it was made at a time where most pokemon were useful no matter what, giving players the chance to really win with the pokemon they loved, and not the one's that a spreadsheet told them to use.  Heck, it was a game that openly tried to teach kids the morality issues of cloning back in the 90's.  Really it was a game ahead of its time, flaws and all.

2. Gen 6 - Let's get this out of the way now.  Yes, many people found gen 6 to be easy, though honestly that's more due to people getting better at rpg's and the changing standards of them(ie. grinding is largely a dead concept).  That said though, Kalos is wonderful.  Even if you don't find the music memorable, its still beautiful to listen to.  The pokemon, though the smallest generation ever, are very well designed and stand out from one another well.  Mega evolution changed the entire meta of the game, resulting in what were once seen as garbage pokemon becoming the star's of peoples teams.  The entire landscape of the game is beautiful and diverse, even in places that you wouldn't expect.  The little flavor things in the game like the guy who tells you a ghost story and ask's for a tip afterwords, or having a part of the game where you actually have to pay money to progress felt very realistic to life.  The story, while a bit clumsy, makes enough sense and does get it's message across in the end.  That a man is willing to destroy all that he loves if it means bring about his ambitions of peace.  Like team Flare are a bunch of Paladin's that have fallen to the dark side of Lawful good.  The idea of having rivals that are meant to reflect different play styles is really refreshing.  AZ is fantastic, and I love his ending, even if it took 3000 years to make happen.  But most of all, the reason I love Gen 6 is the ending of X&Y.  The ending song in of itself is beautiful, but it is at its final moments that it brings tears to my eyes.  Seeing the chorus lyrics displayed in all 7 languages.  Pokemon had been around for 17 years at that point, but it never really felt like a big thing.  By that point I was in college, and not exactly in a good state of mind, and most of the people who still played were people who just loved good games.  Sources like Serebii were known well enough for information, and VGC was starting to become better known, but for the most part being a fan of pokemon felt like living on an island alone.  However, that moment to be felt like the wakeup call I needed for years.  I good reminder that Pokemon didn't just touch my heart, but everyone across the world.  Everyone had love for a yellow mouse, a fire breathing salamander with wings, and a science experiment gone wrong.  One single ending served as a banner to remind us all that no matter where you are in the world; a love of pokemon is universal and can be the bridge that brings us together.  And that's not even talking about ORAS, which has a lot of problems, but I've said enough about why I love gen 6.

1. Gen 4 - Alright, this one comes with a bit of a personal story.  After Gen 3, I was burning out hard on pokemon.  I didn't pick up FRLG, and I did pick up Diamond when it came out, made it to the elite four, but then I just stopped.  I wasn't enjoying the game.  It felt like I was just going through the motions and really wasn't enjoying it any more.  Then one day months later I ran into a friend who just came up to me asking if I could remember the original 151 pokemon.  On a whim they wanted to see if they could name them off and started a list, taking it from class to class, stopping people in the halls to see if they could add in one pokemon.  In the end they didn't finish the list; they were shy 4 pokemon, but that list started something that none of us really saw coming.  more then 10 years after pokemon had come out; every one of us still loved the series.  The next day those same guys brought their ds's to school and started playing their copies of pearl and platinum respectively.  That day I went home, reset my game and played Diamond again, from beginning to end in a few days, beating the elite 4 with my Empoleon at my side, who managed to survive an earthquake from Garchomp with 3 hp and won me the match.  It was thanks to those two crazy guys that my love of pokemon was set a blaze again.  Because of them that Empoleon's still my favorite pokemon to this day.  Because of them that I'm still playing this series, trying to get better at it and hopefully enjoying the series with all of you awesome folks.  For me this isn't a game of nostalgia, but rather its a game that taught me that you should love what you love and ever question it for a second.

And with all that sappy stuff aside, I love almost everything about this game.  I love the much needed physical/special split making so many pokemon useful again.  I love all of the gym leaders actually having lives outside of their gyms.  I love the fact that we have a gym leader struggling to find joy in pokemon, only to come back when someone relights that fire in his heart.  I love the starters, the new evolution's,  and just the new pokemon in general.  I love Cynthia with a passion.  I love Sinnoh as it really feels like my home growing up.  Really I could go on, but I can't think of a single bad thing to say about the game that wasn't eventually fixed, and even then I never saw them as bad things to begin with.

All and all, thank you if you've read through all of this.

CallistoFox    1

Well for me it's as following

6: R/S/E // FR/LG
I dont know why, but "Old" Hoenn was never really my Cup of Tea, sure it had new Pokemon but tbh I never really had much fun playing it :o Same goes for FR/LG even though it was nice and nostalgic I couldn't really connect it 1:1 to the Original..

5: D/P/P
Diamond and Pearl are good Games nothing to say about that, but I can't really replay them because they get really fast boring to me <.<"

4: R/B/G/Y
It may be the beginning of it all, but I have not very good memories to those editions.. It could be because I've been like 5-6 years old as i played those Editions but I still remember that Lavender Town was a really bad point for me 'cause of the music, I always went with the bike through there to avoid the music, as i actually love to play gamess with music turned on~

3: B/W/B2/W2
Unova was one of a region to me, so much aspects that I approved of and even theories that I loved to talk about~ For example that Yamask could be indicating to the People that died at 9/11 (Let them Rest In Peace >~<) just because the Pokedex and the place where the Desert Palace (I hope that's the english name of the Place cause I'm a german player ^^") and the Twin Towers are very exact at the same Spot on the map. There also were a LOT of new Pokemon that I appreciated of the Moment i've seen them (Zoroark, Minccino, Emolga and a lot more)

2: G/S/C // HG/SS
Ahh, the Region I really true love~ It has one hell of an atmosphere, and to me I can connect a lot of what I did in my Silver Edition to my childhood~ It is also yet the only Pokemon Edition that I have where the Time was maxed out on my savefile before my battery died... (RIP Typhlosion, Ho-Oh and Espeon...)

1: X/Y/OR/AS
I don't know what exactly lead to that this Gen is my most favourite so far (Could be that It reminds me a lot of Colloseum/XD because I've played those too like nothing else except G/S/C) I really loved it then they went to 3D model battles like Colloseum~ Most of my Favourite Pokemon are also from this Region like Sylveon, Goodra, Yveltal and so on. Even the Hoenn Remake ORAS was just awesome to me, It made those Games much more fun to play for me and in ORAS was my second time I had my National Dex full~ (B/W being the first time x3)

Ithsme    120
15 hours ago, Mellomori said:

6. Gen 3 - Honestly I just hate almost every design choice made with this game.  I've never been a fan of tropical areas as it usually means no snow area(my personal favorite areas in RPGs), I hate the over abundance of water pokemon, both of the evil teams are incredibly stupid when you actually think about their motives, contest battles were kind of lackluster, the addition of abilities really made it clear that the game needed the physical/special split we would get a generation later, and of course it had too much water.

5. Gen 5 - For me this has less design problems then gen 3, but it still has a lot of glaring issues.  By making sprites that moved; their quality was greatly reduced for the animation, resulting in some horrific looking pokemon in the game.  The addition of having a 150 new pokemon is nice, but it was a bit of a mixed bag.  Having a direct squeal instead of a remake was interesting, though personally I felt it backfired a bit as B/W had a tight story that ended on a good note and B/W 2 felt very unnecessary, adding in almost nothing to the story, giving us a boring rival, a painfully generic team, and a guy who screamed that he was part of the evil team from the get go.  And I'm really not trying to pick on black and white 2, but the fact that it is the worst selling main series game is rather telling.  As well Team Plasma really kind of fall flat if you read that one book in Sinnoh that outright states why pokemon join humans, basically saying that they do it by choice and really trainers can't force pokemon to battle.  Combine all of this with the fact that it breaks the great RPG sin of making a super linear map(ie B/W is literally a straight line through the entire main story), and even its fun postgame can't save it for me.  

4. Gen 2 - Alright I imagine that this'll give me a little gate, but I've got to be honest here.  Gen two is tight.  It improved on many of the features of Gen 1, added in breeding, and really felt like the game that they wanted to create from the beginning.  My problem with it is that it feels like a carbon copy of gen 1 with Kanto.  Nothing about Jhoto really stands out as unique, and its not made better by having you return to Kanto, something that on one hand was impressive, but on the other sends a message that they didn't have enough faith in Jhoto.  Really that's it.  I don't rate gen 2 high because Jhoto sucks as a region.  Otherwise its fine.

3. Gen 1 - Ignoring all of its bugs and glitches, the region was well designed and diverse for the gameboy, taking you from massive cities, to the rural countryside, to caves, to the open ocean.  The gym's were well constructed with very memorable gym leaders and it was made at a time where most pokemon were useful no matter what, giving players the chance to really win with the pokemon they loved, and not the one's that a spreadsheet told them to use.  Heck, it was a game that openly tried to teach kids the morality issues of cloning back in the 90's.  Really it was a game ahead of its time, flaws and all.

2. Gen 6 - Let's get this out of the way now.  Yes, many people found gen 6 to be easy, though honestly that's more due to people getting better at rpg's and the changing standards of them(ie. grinding is largely a dead concept).  That said though, Kalos is wonderful.  Even if you don't find the music memorable, its still beautiful to listen to.  The pokemon, though the smallest generation ever, are very well designed and stand out from one another well.  Mega evolution changed the entire meta of the game, resulting in what were once seen as garbage pokemon becoming the star's of peoples teams.  The entire landscape of the game is beautiful and diverse, even in places that you wouldn't expect.  The little flavor things in the game like the guy who tells you a ghost story and ask's for a tip afterwords, or having a part of the game where you actually have to pay money to progress felt very realistic to life.  The story, while a bit clumsy, makes enough sense and does get it's message across in the end.  That a man is willing to destroy all that he loves if it means bring about his ambitions of peace.  Like team Flare are a bunch of Paladin's that have fallen to the dark side of Lawful good.  The idea of having rivals that are meant to reflect different play styles is really refreshing.  AZ is fantastic, and I love his ending, even if it took 3000 years to make happen.  But most of all, the reason I love Gen 6 is the ending of X&Y.  The ending song in of itself is beautiful, but it is at its final moments that it brings tears to my eyes.  Seeing the chorus lyrics displayed in all 7 languages.  Pokemon had been around for 17 years at that point, but it never really felt like a big thing.  By that point I was in college, and not exactly in a good state of mind, and most of the people who still played were people who just loved good games.  Sources like Serebii were known well enough for information, and VGC was starting to become better known, but for the most part being a fan of pokemon felt like living on an island alone.  However, that moment to be felt like the wakeup call I needed for years.  I good reminder that Pokemon didn't just touch my heart, but everyone across the world.  Everyone had love for a yellow mouse, a fire breathing salamander with wings, and a science experiment gone wrong.  One single ending served as a banner to remind us all that no matter where you are in the world; a love of pokemon is universal and can be the bridge that brings us together.  And that's not even talking about ORAS, which has a lot of problems, but I've said enough about why I love gen 6.

1. Gen 4 - Alright, this one comes with a bit of a personal story.  After Gen 3, I was burning out hard on pokemon.  I didn't pick up FRLG, and I did pick up Diamond when it came out, made it to the elite four, but then I just stopped.  I wasn't enjoying the game.  It felt like I was just going through the motions and really wasn't enjoying it any more.  Then one day months later I ran into a friend who just came up to me asking if I could remember the original 151 pokemon.  On a whim they wanted to see if they could name them off and started a list, taking it from class to class, stopping people in the halls to see if they could add in one pokemon.  In the end they didn't finish the list; they were shy 4 pokemon, but that list started something that none of us really saw coming.  more then 10 years after pokemon had come out; every one of us still loved the series.  The next day those same guys brought their ds's to school and started playing their copies of pearl and platinum respectively.  That day I went home, reset my game and played Diamond again, from beginning to end in a few days, beating the elite 4 with my Empoleon at my side, who managed to survive an earthquake from Garchomp with 3 hp and won me the match.  It was thanks to those two crazy guys that my love of pokemon was set a blaze again.  Because of them that Empoleon's still my favorite pokemon to this day.  Because of them that I'm still playing this series, trying to get better at it and hopefully enjoying the series with all of you awesome folks.  For me this isn't a game of nostalgia, but rather its a game that taught me that you should love what you love and ever question it for a second.

And with all that sappy stuff aside, I love almost everything about this game.  I love the much needed physical/special split making so many pokemon useful again.  I love all of the gym leaders actually having lives outside of their gyms.  I love the fact that we have a gym leader struggling to find joy in pokemon, only to come back when someone relights that fire in his heart.  I love the starters, the new evolution's,  and just the new pokemon in general.  I love Cynthia with a passion.  I love Sinnoh as it really feels like my home growing up.  Really I could go on, but I can't think of a single bad thing to say about the game that wasn't eventually fixed, and even then I never saw them as bad things to begin with.

All and all, thank you if you've read through all of this.

Wow, I wasn't expecting people like gen 6 this much. xD In response to what you said, how the lack of difficulty is because people are getting older and better at the games, I don't think this is the case. I recently played through most of platinum, and that was hard for me. I can go back and the old games will still be hard for me, so even if that does apply to some poeople, it doesn't apply to me at least. Also Gen 4 FTW!!

I've been curious about other peoples' thoughts on this subject. My list is probably not the popular opinion, so I'll explain each. 
In order from least favorite to favorite:

6. Gen 2 - It was Christmas when I opened one of my presents and it was Pokemon Silver. I was so excited to have the new Pokemon game in my hands, just as I had asked for. Naturally, I played through it and... Well honestly I really don't remember much of anything about Gen 2 anymore. I know this Gen tends to be the favorite of most people, but it just really didn't leave an impact on me. I literally can't recall any specific things about my playthrough of Silver, so I honestly have nothing to say about it. When a game fails to trigger any specific moments of gaming bliss, It's very hard to say many good things about this gen. 

5. Gen 1 - Despite being a 90's kid, and growing up with the Pokemon games, I just can't say many positive things about Gen 1. The sprites were awful, the type matchups were totally out of balance... Yes, I loved it as a kid, but looking back at the older games, I can see how many problems they had. The one thing that sets Gen 1 higher on this list than Gen 2, is that I can actually remember very specific moments of my childhood playing this game. I'd name all my Metapod "Sharky". My fondest memory of the first generation. But other than that, Gen 1 was a complete mess and anyone defending Gen 1 nowadays has their nostalgia goggles on too tight !

4. Gen 4 - While this gen is one of my preferred ones, in terms of gameplay, everything was slowed down to a crawl compared to previous games. It was unfortunate too, because Gen 4 was actually pretty decent. Good Pokemon designs overall, new evolutions to Pokemon who really needed them... Not a bad generation, just flawed in a few too many aspects.

3. Gen 3 - I received Pokemon Sapphire for one of my birthdays, and I really enjoyed it. I have fond memories of transferring my Gen 3 Pokemon into Pokemon Colosseum and battling with them. Plus there were some great designs this generation.

2. Gen 6 - Let's face it. Having a fully-fledged 3D Pokemon Game on a handheld is a dream come true ! X and Y weren't the best games in terms of story, but the Pokemon designs were top notch, the Mega Evolutions and other new aspects really improved the franchise, and it's paving the way for Gen 7, which looks even better ! Sadly, this Generation was severely flawed, with a lackluster story, abysmal regional Pokedex, and nonexistant post game content. It's really quite sad, because Gen 6 looked amazing, but fell short in the long run. Though it did introduce Gourgeist, who's my absolute favorite Pokemon ! 

1. Gen 5 - Probably the most controversial thing on this list, but Gen 5 was by far my personal favorite Generation. Excellent Pokemon designs, reasonable difficulty, a solid storyline, interesting characters, a really interesting idea for the villainous team. Gen 5 did so many things right, but yet it gets so much hate for no reason. It wasn't perfect of course, but I still think Black and White were the best games so far. As cool as the sequel idea was for this gen, I actually hated Black 2/White 2. It was a completely unnecessary addition that simply didn't have the same level of charm as Black and White. All that said, still my person favorite Generation. At least until Sun and Moon release, which are looking to be the absolute best games in the franchise without a doubt !

• Like 1

Malco    64

TL;DR 2 1 4 3 6 5 (worst to best)

Gen 2 - Bad experience curve and poor midgame hurts it a lot, which is not fixed in HGSS. IMO has the worst starters. Still can't take Team Rocket seriously. Rival is a complete jerk. Has a watered-down Kanto as a postgame. Not even Azumarill can save it. Introduced Special Attack/Defense split.

Gen 1 - Started it all, but suffered from bugs and poor typing distribution. At least it has more memorable mons and gym leaders than Gen 2 (except Tyranitar). Rival is just a serious competitor. Can't take Team Rocket seriously.

Gen 4 - They almost forgot to put fire types in the Sinnoh dex, as a result Chimchar is the only feasible starter. It also has forgettable gym leaders and E4, and Cynthia is the only character I can remember among them. Scary evil team. It doesn't even feel like the rival exists. Not even Azelf can push this gen higher. Introduced Physical/Special split.

Gen 3 - The first gen I played. Good mix of cool designs and fairly memorable gym leaders. Magma and Aqua are wacky and hard to take seriously except when they almost destroy Hoenn with their mistake. Rival disappears halfway into the plot (added some puppy love in ORAS). Introduced Pokemon Abilities.

Gen 6 - The gen where they finally let everyone compete, and that adds a lot of points for me. Jumping to full 3d is not a bad idea either. Rival/friends are forgettable. Flare is like Gen 3's evil team - wacky at first, surprise scary later, even if Lysandre's excuse falls flat in the end. Few new species but well-designed Pokemon. Introduced easier access to hidden abilities and 5-IV Destiny Knot and trainer customization.

Gen 5 - The best story and evil team ever. Cheren is the best rival ever (and the gen 6 rival is a watered-down version of Cheren.) Gym leaders and Alder are fairly memorable. It has Iris. N is a great character. BW2 is meh but BW"1" is really a tough act to follow. Great mon variety and distribution: Darmanitan, Reuniclus, Eelektross, the genies, the musketeers, the box legends are some of my picks. Also, Skyarrow Bridge.

...and I just realize I have the same exact order as the person above me.

• Like 1

Mr_Roboduck    13

I haven't played enough games to add to this thread, but, Ruby and Sapphire are my favourites from the past. ORAS did a good job of refreshing those games though so I would put them on the same level for me. Below that, Diamond and Pearl were pretty good while Gen 1 is just behind that. X and Y are at the bottom of my list, not because They're bad but everything else was better. 

Smitje    64

I don't have any real points here I just go by feeling..

6 - Generation 5. I hate(d) the fact that you could only catch pre gen 5 Pokémon, which I all don't really like, after you beat the game. I also quickly got fed up with each trainer having the same Pokémon in the start of the game. Also it just amazes me how these games came before X/Y they look so pixelated now. 

5 - Generation 4. It was the first Pokémon game I played after Crystal. I never owned a GBA. I just don't feel much with it. The only thing I found amazing was that you could get a Happiny soonish in the game, which evolved into a Blissey. All the design of the new Pokémon lacked my interest, they were just not my cup of tea.

4 - Generation 3. Never got really interested in Hoenn. Might be because I never owned a GBA or that around that time I also stopped watching the anime. Again the Pokémon designs are not my favourites. I recently finished OR and the story is alright, it has some interesting parts. 

3 - Generation 6. Mostly because of the new 3D and new online features. They tried it in generation 5 but failed. Now I can image the games without these features. 

2 - Generation 1. Blue was the first game I ever played. I am still amazed I even finished it. I caught Mewtwo in it while not at all being able to read English at the time.. I do miss that you can't do things out of order anymore in the later games. I feel that you had more freedom to move around in Kanto than you had anywhere else. 

1 - Generation 2. The first games I really played I had my team in the end, Xatu, Ampharos, Quagsire and Magcargo. Pokemon I really hunted for. I just really like the region and the Pokémon found there. It is just my Pokémon home. 

Nomyt    50

I'm having difficultly in rating this into an order, so what I'll do is go by main games, and not remakes, give views on what I like and didn't like about each game.

1. R/B/Y.
+ Started the franchise.
+++ Misty, Sabrina, and Erika (One plus for each girl.)
++++ Eevee and each of it's evolutions (Plus for each poke.)
+ Rival that actually gets to be champion.
+ In game trades that are actually worth it.
+ Game corner.
+ Hint of Munna
+ Hidden out the way areas to go to that have no story plot relevance. (Power plant, Meowtwos cave, etc.)
- Pikachu (I hate the thing, and although
- Only one eevee, rarely would anyone want to trade over their eevee, and sure you can trade it straight back, but that's not really catching them all.
- Psychic type stupidly powerful. (Lolz, I have best team 6 mewtwos, you can't beat me!!)
-  Similar to eevee, the hitmons. Great to have a choice, but without knowing too much of the differences. Again, yes on trading, but who really wants to give away their only one.
- Glitch'd. Sooo many game breaking glitches, but that's kinda expected with the games age.

2. G/S/C.
+ Karen of the E4.
+ Shiny Pokémon. (Always liked the idea of a pokemon of a different colour, however I always thought it could be liked an alt form....similar to alolan forms. For example, a blue bulbasaur being a water/poison type.)
+ Phone and the bank of mom. (No double plus for this, as mom spends it.)
+ Going back to the old region, seeing how much had changed.
+ The option to have an ultimate battle with really high levelled pokemon.
++ Espeon and Umbreon
++ Steel and Dark type.
++ Jasmine and Karen (Yes, Karen is on twice....deal with it.)
+++ Erika, Misty, Sabrina, and the New Fusica Gym leader, Janine.
++ Babies and evos for old pokemon.
++ Day and Night cycle, weekly events like bug catching (why has this never really been implemented again?)
-- Some of the new pokemon can only be found in post game areas, really wanted Houndoom and Sneasel before I faced the e4 the first time around.
-- Whirlpool and Waterfall. I think these could have been done differently, maybe if once you got a certain badge, surf would power up to allow rides over whirlpools and then after powerful enough to surf up a waterfall. (and yes, this is also true for another move later on in the series.)
- I always had trouble evolving into the hitmon I wanted.
- Dog/Cat/Beast and their running (and speaking of which, way was suicune singled out in Crystal. And yes, I called them dogs for years....deal with it.)
No I never had problem with Whitney, or her Miltank, although I hate the crybabyness after. Although, I did struggle with Steelix a couple of times on other playthroughs.

3. Ru/Sa/Em
+++ I liked all the starters, bit unusual for me to like all of them.
+ Shedinja, and how it evolves.
+ So many new ghost pokemon.
++++ Roxanne, Flannery, Winona, Phoebe...(tempting to mark a point less for Winona, as I find her gym challengeless, and bland. But her character design makes her such a cutie.)
+ Players Dad a gym leader to beat, and gym is actually an interesting concept.
+ The guy spying on people in the hot springs.
+++ All the after game legendary hunting. (+ Lati@S + Regis +Rayquaza)
+ Rapid water route.
+ Wally was a great idea for a rival, just wish he had the other starter pokemon. and had more chances for battling throughout the story.
+ Brendan/May also great idea for a rival, just wish they had a little bit more zest in them. Or at least meet more times for pokedex filling. (Like giving items, or something.)
- Desert in the middle of the island?? Would be more sense for it to be a "be careful. Quick sand is about in this mountain range." sort of area.
-- Azurill and Wynaut. Just two pokemon pre-evo from previous games?! What?! At least put some evos in there, or some more pre-evos than just two!
- Kecleon not being an eeveelution. Would have been a great bug type if given a few bug moves.
- Dive! Read the surf bit for 2nd gen.
- Option to avoid Mr Briney sea ferry. As much as I like the idea, there should have been a bridge over to the island, or something.
- Rock gym first, as much as I love Roxanne. Having rock as a first gym again seemed slightly silly, yes there's bound to types that will always be gyms, they can at least change them up.
- Taillow the regional bird....which isn't everywhere. Wingul seems to be the regional more than Taillow.
--- Wurmple and it's stupid evolution methods that I still can't figure out, or never works for me.

4. Di/Pe/Pl
++ Turtle and Penguin starter. So hard to chooooooose.
+ First Regional Bird that I actually like, love Starlings in real life.
+ Grass starters final evo. Literally A'tuin. Just needs the elephants.
++ Drifloon and how you find it.
+ Rotom, love it's design.
++ Glaceon and Leafeon.
+++ Sooo many evos and pre-evos for the older generation of pokemon. (I would give a plus for each one, but there's some that I don't care for.
+++ Maylene, Candice, Cynthia
+ Mansion Pokémon, changed regularly.
++ The game reflects the time of day, even having the lights go out at night.
+++ Underground, and the digging mini-game (minigame gets two +'s, it was awesome, and then the addition of other fossils post game.)
+ Sooo much post e4 stuff.
- Lack of fire types, seriously before the elite four....starter or ponyta/rapidash....that's your choice.
-- time and space have what to do with steel and water???
-- Having to go through Mt. Coronet, I can't ever remember having told that I need to go through there to get to Candice.
-- Defog, and Rock Climb. Rock Climb could be an improved strength, and Defog could have been something else.
--- Spiritomb. Finding one was so freaking long, and the fact that when these came out, most of my friends had gone off pokemon, so it was up to me to search the internet on how to find this thing, and then needing another game and ds to get one is ridiculous.
- Rival does sod all. Nothing helpful about them.
-- Another 1st gym rock gym (minusing two as it's a second game in a row.)
- Shinx or it's evo did not gain a dark typing.

5. Black/White
These are being done separately from B2/W2. As both games are vastly different.
+ Snake and Otter starters.
+ Forcing me to use brand new pokemon. (It normally works out that do only use the new generations, but still.)
+ First gym has type advantage over you. If I hadn't had go exploring before hand, it would have been a great struggle.
++ Actually this goes for a few gyms, the second gym rather than charging into it, you can go pick up a couple of fighting types if you go a little ahead. Same with the others.
++ Season cycles, and pokemon that get affected by it Sawsbuck.
++++ Elesa, Skyla, Shauntal, and Caitlin (Yes, Caitlin was in Gen 4, but I never played the Battle Castle.)
+++ Three Awesome Ghost type combo pokemon. Fire/Water/Ground.
++ Electric cave with two awesome electric pokemon, Tynamo and Joltik.
++ Basically loved soooo many new pokemon this generation, like sooo many where great, and possibly because I tried out nearly all of them.
++ Wild double battles.
+++ Rivals that actually do something, have interesting stories, and make something of themselves. (Bianca gets two +'s for being a cutie...actually speaking of which...)
+ Professor Juniper = Cutie = a +
++ Lots of post game stuff to do, and pokemon to find.
+ Game differences. Although, these were never a big thing (except  BlackCity/WhiteForest, and Opelucid City.) It was still an interesting idea.
-- Dive and Waterfall.....
- Desert in the middle of a landlocked area....
- Darmanitan, okay this is kinda a sore subject for me. I love Darmanitan. I have a Daruma Doll (and I dotted it's eye, and if my wish ever comes true, I will burn it as soon at my wish comes true.) I even used this pokemon until I got litwick. But it was soon after that the zen mode was found, and then it only applied to some Darmanitans! I was so annoyed as I think this would have been a great gimmick for the whole pokemon species, and not some of them (although, one may argue that only some dreams come true. *shrugs*
- Yes, I'm going here...another fire/fighting pokemon.
- Serperior has a horrid, horrid moveset.
- Otter, Otter, Majestic Sea Lion/Narwhal/creature thing....It's great, but it's design would be great for a separate pokemon all together.
- Not getting the Eagle or Vulture till late in the game. (Sooo wanted one for early team, although that did mean I had a Swoobat for my flying type, which worked out quite well.)
- Archen/Archeops wins award for terrible ability.
- Blitzle or it's evo did not get a dark typing.

5.2. B2/W2
+ Getting two separate story lines.
+ Getting the little new area for the already awesome map.
+ Getting an awesome mix of old and new pokemon in the starting area. I had a great team before I even left the new area.
++++ The fantastic four make their reappearance, some with fantastic pretty new threads (Aka Elesa, and Skyla....)
++ speaking of which Bianca, and Cynthia make their cute return.
+ Speaking of Cuties, Roxie
++ Sooo much after game stuff to do, and legendaries to find.
+ Abyssal Ruins, okay it was just to get gold and plates. But again, it's a great idea.
+ Hidden Grottos.
--------- Pokestar studios. I hate having to go through that damn pile of trash every time I reset the game. (yes, it deserves that many -'s)
- Hugh, the most forgettable rival since....well, ever. (He deserves more -'s by pokestar studio forced me to use them all.
- There was a clefairy that wrecked me in Celestial Tower
- Join Avenue. (Another forces you to go through it, again no one apart from me played this near me. *shrugs*
Actually, this is it for bad things for B2/W2, many minor, but those Studios, side quests like these can go do one, I actually like gyms, and e4 system, and not really looking forward to this to ever change.

6. X/Y (oooh, here goes.)
+ Splitting the dex into different areas of the region. It makes a lot of great pokemon to use in the game.
+++ While not adding a lot of new pokemon, there was a lot that I liked. Including two Grass/Ghost species, Steel/Ghost, Psychic/Dark, Fighting/Flying, Rock/Dragon, and Poison/Dragon.
+ Valerie. (I would add Alexa, but you don't really see her that often.)
+++ Vivillon, I love the regional forms. I really hope that there's a new form for alola, or at least gives a way to find a different form to the normal one. Trying to get alternate forms from GTS is like getting blood from a stone, still missing some!
+++ Character Customisation. My Y game has the cutiest outfit for the girl, and my boy character is goth/emo as heck...a little like me.
+ Santalune Forest, I loved that it was a carbon copy of Viridian Forest. Great way to shown how far the graphics have come.
- Yes, game was way too easy to level up pokemon.
-- Mega evolutions....yes, some pokemon need evolutions, but make actual pokemon, not once per battle thing. Also...
-- two megas for Mewtwo...what?! Yeah, I get genetic pokemon, one being more mew like, and other being the physical perfection, but still....
-- two megas for Charlizard, yeah I get he was a popular starter, but it would be the kind thing that they would do for Pikachu.
-- pika-chu...yay, that has to have a proper voice cry...
- how many rivals?! none of them even get a full team. Such a disappointing group.
- Fairy type, and no not for that reason. I think it was too late to add another type. I think it's been a great addition, name could have been fae type instead.
- Little to do post game, yeah, a new area, but meh.....nothing really there apart from the friend safari. (Although, thanks to easier access to the internet, and friends on facebook, I can get some areas. There should have been a proper safari.
- Xerneas, and Yveltal...where were they? Like most legendaries nested somewhere, we could go to those places, and get them. Flare already caught them, and moved them to their secret base. I think it would have been more awesome, to try and race them to the sleeping point of X-/Y- only to get beaten to the legendary. It makes a little more sense.

So yeah, kind of shows it all. I could my plus and minus points for the remakes, but really.
I like each game in their own way, some I do like a little more than others.

While it's looking like Sun & Moon will do away with gyms and e4(be prepared for my minuses if the trials aren't as good or better.) I'm sure there are going to be tons of pluses. And will probably be my favourite game to date. ^_^

Poekoko    88

Hipsters saying Gen 3 was bad:

Image result for out meme

Jk, but seriously, I loved Gen 3 to death. Ruby was the only Pokemon game I played OVER AND OVER again as a kid. My life was: Dang, I finished Pearl *hops on GBA to beat Steven again* Eh, the new 3d NDS graphics are hurting my baby eyes *Flips open GBA and reks Norman with Protect stratz*

Fire Red was the best too, Blastoise FTW!

So here is my list

2. Generation 2-6: All had amazing memories, all were special in there own way, there is no way to rank these. If you had experiences with all of these games and aren't trying to have the unpopular opinion/hipster, then you will realize they are all amazing. I could rank them, but it is too hard for me and would end up in a tie anyway.

1. Gen 3: But one is better than the rest. All personal reasons, and mostly nostalgia. But still, Gen 3 had the first Remake, had contests, had the OST other games could only dream of having. Also has the three best Champions ever, Blue, Steven, and Wallace!.

Image result for just right meme trumpets

• Like 1

If we're breaking it down by actual gens and not by games then I have to include remakes in with their actual gens so HGSS would be gen 4, FRLG would be gen 3, and ORAS would be gen 6 then this is how it would go for me:

6. Gen 1(As much as I love the originals man they had problems)

5. Gen 5 ( I never played B2W2 so I can only go off of White and I struggled getting into that game though I loved Serperioir and other Pokemon)

4. Gen 2 (Introduced shinies, breeding, and just so many cool things)

3. Gen 4 (Absolutely hated Diamond and Pearl but I still love playing SoulSilver. Never had the pleasure of playing Platinum but I've heard it's much better than Diamond and Pearl.)

2. Gen 3 (First game that I actually owned and didn't have to borrow from a friend was Sapphire. I had almost 300 hours played on my original file. Firered, Leafgreen, and even the GameCube games were great. I feel like this gen is what really upscaled the franchise for later gens)

1. Gen 6 ( I really enjoyed the gameplay for all the games. It actually rekindled my love of the franchise after gen 5. I know many people love gen 5 but for whatever reason I got bored with it easily. Which is said because I liked a lot of the Pokemon from that gen.)

• Like 2

Nomyt    50
On ‎09‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:57 PM, Accalia_Luperca said:

3. Gen 4 (Absolutely hated Diamond and Pearl but I still love playing SoulSilver. Never had the pleasure of playing Platinum but I've heard it's much better than Diamond and Pearl.)

I found Plat pretty meh. I think it's one of the only games I haven't completed....well, still working through Y and OR, however Y I just need to level up my pokemon and take on the E4, still a little way off on OR. Doubt I'll ever get back to plat.

Actually looking forward to see if Lockstin's Gen4 remake theory holds up. Then I may complete a version of Platinum..

LadySasaki    6

1. Gen 4, for sure. Platinum and HG SS win it for me. Platinum is my most re-played Pokemon game ever, and I honestly believe it was the best until BW2 came along. I can't get enough Sinnoh. And HGSS were pure nostalgia wrapped in beautiful packaging with a big bow. They were amazing games. It's also worth mentioning that I think this gen was such a massive success because of its hardware - the DS was arguably the best console that had ever been released, at the time, and the wifi connectivity put the world at your fingertips. I'll never forget my first wifi trade - I got a Totodile from a Japanese kid! No more link cables!!!

2. Gen 5 is probably my second fave. I loved the busy, colourful region of Unova, the plot and characters were suddenly amazing, and the sequels were such a great direction to go in - if only XY2 had happened.

3. Gens 2 and 6 fight for dominance here, but I think I'll pick Gen 2 because my first play through Johto was one of the most magical experiences of my life. Pokemania was still a thing but I no longer had the childish newbishness that plagued my playthroughs of Gen 1, so I managed not to lose battles every 5 seconds. Original Johto took something amazing and just made it better - day/night cycle, breeding, hold items...Johto was revolutionary to the series, and it's such a beautiful region.

4. Gen 6. I feel like I complain about XY a lot, but that's not because I didn't like them - quite the opposite, I loved them and saw so much potential and just wanted them to feel a tiny bit more 'complete' than they did. The lack of a sequel was sad (especially for Zygarde lol) but ORAS really redeemed Gen 6 for me. The graphics and gameplay were a fangirl wet dream, mostly because I really didn't 'click' with gen 3 at the time, so returning to Hoenn allowed me to enjoy and appreciate it in the way I hadn't first time around.

5. Gen 1, where it all started. I know the games feel and look dated by today's standards, and yet re-playing Red on the VC reminded me why I loved the original games despite their faults - the difficulty curve was crazy, and they had a 'raw edge' feel to them that's been buffed away into fluffy rounded cuteness over the years. I loved the dark undertones of Kanto: the screechy theme of Lavender Town, the unspoken mysteries of the horrific mutated beast lying in wait in Cerulean Cave, the old drunk sleeping in the street, the fact that a ten year old kid can walk into a casino...lol.

6. Gen 3 I've enjoyed every Pokemon game to date, but Gen 3 I enjoyed less than the others. Pokemania was fading, so these were the first Pokemon games I played where suddenly I had no friends to trade or battle with - they'd grown tired of Pokemon and moved on, and sadly wifi wouldn't be around for another gen, which made the experience pretty lonely (and incomplete!). I also really didn't like the GBA as a console - I found the sound quality very tinny, and the graphics are my least of any Pokemon gen. Although there was a reason for it, at the time it also felt like a massive blow to not be able to bring my old Pokemon forward, which made the new games a bit 'alien' to me. Hell, I didn't even like the font in Gen 3! It's worth noticing I was a teen when these games came out and my Pokemon hobby was being put aside for things like school and dating. Gen 4 is what got me 'back into' Pokemon, which probably accounts for my negative memories of gen 3 and my positive memories of gen 4...haha. 

Geronimo    4

For the purposes of this list, I've decided not to include the remakes, as I think this would give some generations an unfair advantage.  For example, one could argue that Gen IV is automatically better than Gen II, because it includes an updated version of everything that Gen II had to offer, plus a brand new adventure in the Sinnoh region.

6) Generation IV (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum)

For some reason - perhaps because I was late getting a DS - Sinnoh is the region I've connected with the least, despite appreciating its aesthetic and mythology.  It did, however, introduce some of my favourite Pokémon (Lucario, Turtwig, Floatzel) and I'm looking forward to the inevitable remakes so I can revisit with fresh eyes.

5) Generation I (Red, Blue, Yellow)

I recently played Red for the first time, on the 3DS virtual console, and it struck me how much fun it is to play, even after 20 years.  Kanto, by itself, is the least interesting region by far - to me it becomes much more appealing when connected to Johto, for some reason.  But this is the generation that gave us Pikachu and Mewtwo and Charizard, and all the other characters that have become so iconic - whether their lasting appeal is down to design quality or nostalgia will always be something of a mystery.  Despite its flaws and limitations, if it weren't for this Generation there wouldn't have been any more.

4) Generation VI (X & Y)

X and Y's story, while simple at first glance, is actually surprisingly mature, and powerful in a subtle way.  It does feel a little incomplete - I get the impression a Z version was in the works and later abandoned - but if anything I appreciate the lack of third version as it allows the original pair to retain their value.  Although I was disappointed by the small number of new Pokémon, quality over quantity really does seem to apply here, and Mega Evolution was a wonderful idea too - it's difficult now to imagine a time before it existed.  The Kalos region itself is beautiful, boasting some of the best route music in the series.

3) Generation III (Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald)

This was Game Freak's first serious attempt at weaving a narrative into the gameplay, and the Hoenn region is gorgeous.  I found some of the new Pokémon a little weird at first, but I've grown to love them over time.  And the music is so good that people started making internet memes about the trumpets.

2) Generation V (Black, White, Black 2, White 2)

Black and White blew me away with their incredible storytelling, and the fresh experience of encountering only new Pokémon until the post-game - I wish they'd do this more often.  I didn't enjoy the sequels as much, but I still appreciated how they enriched the Unova region and its history.  Admittedly, some of the Pokémon designs are a little dull and simple, but I actually love that infamous ice cream Pokémon, and there are plenty of other gems, like Zoroark and Braviary.

1) Generation II (Gold, Silver, Crystal)

Two regions, sixteen Gym Leaders, and (in my opinion) the best set of Pokémon designs to date.  There isn't much story to speak of, but the way Johto and Kanto are connected creates a world that is immersive and fascinating - revisiting Kanto feels like uncovering a lost treasure.  I feel like this generation struck a perfect balance between depth and simplicity, and that my nostalgia bias (Silver was my first game) is justified!

Edited by Geronimo
  • Like 1

Malco    64

Now that Gen 7 is out, I'm adding Gen 7 after 5.

So my order now is 2 1 4 3 6 5 7 (worst to best)

Also I have probably made some lists where 3 and 6 are swapped but that's OK.

Geronimo    4
On 01/12/2016 at 8:58 AM, Malco said:

Now that Gen 7 is out, I'm adding Gen 7 after 5.

So my order now is 2 1 4 3 6 5 7 (worst to best)

Also I have probably made some lists where 3 and 6 are swapped but that's OK.

Now I've finished the main portion of the game, I'm going to place Generation VI at number 3 on my list, between Gens V and III.  The story is outstanding, although I think Black and White are still yet to be topped in that department.