Mr_Roboduck

Smogon and Competitive Play

Mr_Roboduck    13

Need a little help again!

I've been trying to wrap my head around competitive play in Pokemon and what part this whole Smogon business plays in it. Could someone explain what the different smogon tiers mean?  

I mean, if a pokemon is in rarely used tier does that make it stronger than never used? I'd like to start making a competitive team so every little helps. 

Edited by Mr_Roboduck
I'm a big doofus who forgets details

Smitje    64
On 26-8-2016 at 6:38 AM, Mr_Roboduck said:

Need a little help again!

I've been trying to wrap my head around competitive play in Pokemon and what part this whole Smogon business plays in it. Could someone explain what the different smogon tiers mean?  

I mean, if a pokemon is in rarely used tier does that make it stronger than never used? I'd like to start making a competitive team so every little helps. 

Not that informed as well. I don't think it is based on being stronger it is based on how useful a Pokémon is. 

Poekoko    88

Here, I'll help you, I have been playing competitive for over 3 years. Tiers are a way to see how much a Pokemon is used, not how good it is. Although if a Pokemon isn't good, not many use it, thus a lower tier (but it's not always the case). The only tiers based on the stats of Pokemon is Ubers and Anything Goes. The tiers are OU for Over Used, UU for under used, RU for Rarely Used, NU for Never Used, and PU which stands for nothing.

The strength of a Pokemon is lightly attached to it's tier, never think an OU Pokemon MUST be better than a UU one, but take the Pokemon's tier into consideration, because if it's used so much it must have some merit.

Edited by Poekoko

Malco    64
On 8/26/2016 at 0:38 PM, Mr_Roboduck said:

Poekoko explained it quite well already, but I'll add a bit more.

BASIC TIERS

Smogon tiers are based on popularity mainly. Basically, if enough people use it, it has to be good, right?

> Scizor is for a while among the best Pokemon there is that isn't sent to Ubers (which was, before Mega Ray debuted, an OU banlist for things that are too good for OU).

Also, what happens next is those most popular Pokemon will attract their counters, increasing their popularity too. And still based on popularity, so the best counters are used most often...

> Heatran, Charizard and Ferrothorn make Scizor's life misearble, so they are attracted to OU as well.

And then their counters, a.k.a. what would become Scizor's teammates, are attracted to OU as well...

> Tyranitar, Azumarill, Keldeo and Rotom-W scare Heatran and Charizard.

And fill in counters or supports to those that's how a tier is filled.

THE NEXT/LOWER TIERS + DEMOTION/PROMOTION

If a Pokemon is a certain % of popularity or higher (~4% but it varies), it is considered to be part of OU.

Anything less than that popularity gets to participate in the next lower tier, UU.

Also if a Pokemon that is currently in a tier is below the usage % requirement for about 3 months, it is demoted to a lower tier.
Note that after demotion, it is protected from getting demoted further for a few months. Because obviously there are no usage statistics for the newly demoted 'mon in a tier.

> At the beginning of Gen 6, there was no reason to use Starmie and Alakazam anymore as the superior Greninja just got released, so they eventually dropped one tier.

Also if a lower tier mon goes above the usage % requirement for about 3 months, it is promoted to higher tiers and banned from lower tiers.

> Eventually, Greninja was banned from OU, so Starmie and Alakazam returned to OU as Greninja substitutes!

Anything Goes and Uber are exempt from the usage rule. Also, individual Pokemon can get banned from a tier because it is too good, like Hawlucha and Diggersby are in BL (the UU banlist) because they are considered too good for UU, even if their usage in OU is not high enough.