Sign in to follow this  
Wes

Preliminary Sun/Moon Teams

Wes    115

What Pokemon do you plan on using in your playthroughs of Sun and/or Moon? I think it would be neat if we all shared what teams we're considering. I'll probably update my post whenever we get new information, but here are my current teams:

Moon: Litten, Lurantis, Wishiwashi, Palossand, Minior, and Jangmo-o

Sun: Exeggutor, Marowak, Raichu, and Raticate

My updated teams contain datamined spoilers in an image below. Don't scroll down if you want to avoid them!

Edited by Wes

Malco    64

Usually in my first run on a gen, I go with a "whatever looks useful" approach, and swap teams as I go. This time it looks like I'll have a mono-water team this time.

So let's see what water types have appeared so far: Popplio, Bruxish, Wimpod, Pyukumuku, Wishiwashi... with reservations for any water/ground to deal with electrics or water/electric to deal with gyarados. And the HM user which seems to be Oricorio so far unless HMs ain't needed anymore, or there's a water/flying.

Cosmos    0

Alola Raichu, Alola Exeggutor, Alola Marowak, Mimikyu, Salandit, some kind of Water type. Maybe Pyukumuku if it has an interesting evolved form?

Edited by Cosmos
typo

Smitje    64

Rowlet for at least the start, might end up in the box? I for sure want to use Alolan Marowak, if we can get one earlier on that would be amazing. I'm also very interested in Minior. They're cool!

Malco    64

I guess you can ask for a cubone egg to be traded to you, if you wanna start with it.

The trials seem to go in order of grass -> water -> electric -> fire if the trailers are any indication, so that's probably a long time to hold out before a marowak.

Smitje    64

I would have to ask for an Alolan Cubone egg then I guess (At least that is how I hope this works.) Which wouldn't be impossible given we get the game 5 days later.. Maybe it will be less linear? We can choose our next island? 

MoonRealm    0

Hey people, casual poster on the main site & first time here.

I think this will be the first time since Black & White 2 that I pick up the two versions of the game because of the new world and features available. My first journey through Alola will be casual & fast paced where's the second will be the slower one where I usually lay back and play along with the AI's Thunder Wave + Confuse Ray strategy. Until the version exclusives come out I can't tell which one is which. :P

It's hard to figure the final team since the complete list hasn't come out but since this is a preliminary discussion I have to say that certain Pokemon caught my attention like Rockruf & Mimikyu while others like Palossand and Crabrawler joined my "hell no" list.

Starters:

Honestly it's down to the final evolution and types even though I initially liked Rowlet.

Vikavolt since his line is available early in the game and it looks reliable.

I'm leaning towards Rockruff because of his unconventional Rock type design and the possibility that his evolution(s) could end up as a positive surprise. Plus, having a Rock type user is always good for the ingame challenges. I mean obviously there are no certainties but I feel he's some sort of an alternative starter and a keeper for a second run.

Mimikyu has an interesting concept and typing that I hope won't end up as this generation's Shedinja. If it's decent and viable then I'll breed a new one and send it to the other main game.

If Wimpod's evolution maintains the same type then I'm definitely picking it up for my first run.

Let's be honest, most of us were blown away with the reveal of Alola's Vulpix and I can't wait to spam the Ice & Fairy attacks on Guzma and his rejects. That said, I'm still disappointed with Snow Cloak as an ability for Ninetales which may force me to drop it at some point. Plus, my team so far has a glaring Rock & Fire weakness which means a lot of them are going to rotate with different Pokemon until I find some balance.

Honorable mentions: Komala, Minior, Morelull, Cutiefly.

Malco    64
On 8/18/2016 at 4:05 AM, Smitje said:

I would have to ask for an Alolan Cubone egg then I guess (At least that is how I hope this works.) Which wouldn't be impossible given we get the game 5 days later.. Maybe it will be less linear? We can choose our next island? 

Well, I'm not sure if the egg has to be taken in Alola, or if you just hatch any egg in Alola it will become the correct forme, or if you take any Cubone from anywhere and it will evolve into Alolan forme as long as it is in Alola.

I would just try importing an egg and see if it becomes Alolan Marowak.

Moon: 
Rowlet, Vikavolt, Bewear, Pyukumuku, and Mimikyu (so far.)

I'll have to wait and see what other new Pokemon are revealed soon, so I can adjust my team. 

Sun:
Undecided. Planning to do a Nuzlocke for this version. 

Nomyt    50

Moon: Rowlett

Sun: Litten

Moon will be me trying all the brand new pokemon out, I pretty much like everything we've seen so far. So that's too difficult to narrow the pokemon down without trying them in battle.

Sun will, apart from Litten, will be me trying all the new Alolan forms. Again, difficult to narrow down without trying them. :)

Wes    115

Had to update my teams. I absolutely love Jangmo-o. I typically don't care for Dragons, but this little cutie has grown on me in the nine hours I've known it! :D

• Like 1

Ithsme    120

Updated Teams (I can't figure out how to update my post):

Sun:

Rowlet, Mimikyu, Salandit, Oricorio, Type: Null

Moon:

Snorlax, Alolan Raichu

• Like 1

Wes    115

!!THIS POST CONTAINS DATAMINE SPOILERS UNDER A TAG!!

Here are my most updated teams! (Credit to Ithsme for the image idea)

Teams.png

Edited by Wes
  • Like 3

Sun

Litten: Rath
Wimpod: Flanders
Grubbin:
Rockruff: Remus
Jangmo-o:
Pikipek: Sam

Moon

Rowlet: Oliver
Drampa: Falcor
Salandit: Alice Cooper
Oranguru: Winston
Pikachu: Puka
Alola Ninetails: 

Edited by PokemonKing16

Nomyt    50

So after seeing the data mine data.

Moon:
Rowlett (Not changed mind on this from earlier post)
Toucan (Pikipek was likely going to be added to my team anyway, I wanted to see it's final evo. When I saw that there was a possible toucan pokemon, I was struggling to decide, since I've wanted a Toucan pokemon for forever. I'm glad it evolves from Pikipek.)
Vikavolt (Typing is a favourite, design is epic. What's more to say.)
Kommo-o (Since dragon got nerfed I've expected a fighting dragon for a while. Can't wait to use)
Salandit (I'm pretty sure that evo is female only, but we'll see. However, typing is awesome.)
??? (Interchange able, love the look of Wimpods evo, but at the same time I want Mudsdale....yet also want Wishiwashi, Tsareena, Lurantis, Crabrawlers, the sea urchin.....

Sun:
Litten (As above.)
And then whatever doesn't make it on my moon team (see ??? spot) (Apart from Vuplix, and Sandshrew.)

Green    90
11 minutes ago, PokemonKing16 said:

Sun

Litten: Rath
Wimpod: Flanders
Grubbin:
Rockruff: Remus
Jangmo-o:
Pikipek: Sam

Moon

Rowlet: Oliver
Drampa: Falcor